Topic : Mac pro cinema display cuts out and can't access Mac with screen sharing

Reaction score
Hi

A weird thing has started happening to my Mac Pro today. After using it for a few minutes the cinema display it is attached to on the Mac Pro just goes black. The Mac Pro is clearly still on - the light is on and i can hear the fans. The Mac Pro shows up on my local network and i can connect to it and access files from my Macbook, but screen sharing doesn't work (i just get the message 'contacting mac pro' and nothing else) and i can't connect to shared iTunes library either, which makes me think it is not just a display issue. I cannot wake the computer with the mouse or keyboard, which makes me think it isn't just a sleep issue. All i can do is physically turn the Mac Pro off, start it up and it will start up successfully and then work for a few more minutes before i get the same problem. I have reset the PRAM and SMC and still have the same problems. Can anyone suggest anything else i can try?

I should mention that i have another problem with the Mac Pro in that it has been spontaneously waking up from sleep and starting up from shutdown, and i still haven't resolved this. I don't know if it is connected to the above issue.

thanks

nick

OP
N
Reaction score
i now think this issue is related to the recent leopard graphics update as per this article:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20080218135820123

i still haven't managed to resolve the issue. i am unable to perform an archive and install as i have the same issue when i attempt to do so from my Leopard DVD, i.e. the display cuts out after 5 minutes and the installation process appears to stop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.