iPod+HP...WHY?!

I

Icarus

I cannot imagine why somebody given the choice would buy an HP ipod. That being said, I had the following conversation with the check out woman at Compusa.
My friend Max turned to the both of us and said, "Why is there an HP logo on the ipod?"
The nice woman behind the desk said, "HP makes the ipod now."
I corrected her, "Apple still makes the ipod, HP just put their name on it."
my friend Max said, "whats the difference?" The nice woman also fielded this one for me.
"You don't have to use itunes, so it's easier." at this point, Max, who loves his ipod and is a big advocate of iTunes told her she was a stupid woman for saying that. At the end of the day I thought that it was funny how little people who are supposed to help us with our purchases really know.

OP
V

vuschejan

Icarus said:
I cannot imagine why somebody given the choice would buy an HP ipod. That being said, I had the following conversation with the check out woman at Compusa.
My friend Max turned to the both of us and said, "Why is there an HP logo on the ipod?"
The nice woman behind the desk said, "HP makes the ipod now."
I corrected her, "Apple still makes the ipod, HP just put their name on it."
my friend Max said, "whats the difference?" The nice woman also fielded this one for me.
"You don't have to use itunes, so it's easier." at this point, Max, who loves his ipod and is a big advocate of iTunes told her she was a stupid woman for saying that. At the end of the day I thought that it was funny how little people who are supposed to help us with our purchases really know.

I really dont like CompUSA's customer service at all. I don't really like their prices and they have terrible customer support from what I hear.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Stay away from CompUSA, there is your solution.

OP
I

Icarus

But the real reason I made this thread is why would apple want HP to put their logo on it, and why would anybody buy an HP one instead of a genuine apple one?

OP
C

ChicoWeb

I don't think there is a reason. They probably just want a piece of the MP3 player market. Not only that, they can market it for PC. There are so many un-informed users out there who think that if its HP, then its made for PC. They are capitalizing on that market.

OP
I

iSheep

More people buy HP/Compaq than Apple. That's a fact. HP/Compaq are the 2nd largest computer manufacturer in the world. So, you're in the shop, buying your HP/Compaq PC and the sales man asked you if you want a music player to go with it? It's got the HP logo on it and so has your new computer, printer and scanner. So you buy it.

OP
C

Cloudane

I think it's a huge shame. The iPod is what made me take Apple hardware and software seriously and eventually led to the purchase of my beloved Powerbook. Even though it was PC compatible, it never let you forget that it was made by Apple, dammit, and too right they should get the credit!

Now that HP are involved, it's just another bit of PC hardware and most people will be ignorant enough to think it's made by HP. That makes me sad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Why did HP slap their logo on the iPod?

Because Apple let them...

OP
T

TylerMoney

If apple is going to join teams with anyone...it would be HP. They have interests closer together...and HP knows that if it hooks up with apple now, it will be better for them in the future..same with apple...they needed someone to help them get even more iPods out there..especially for pc users...HP sells a lot of pcs, so if they also offer deals for iPods with computers...it's better for both companies...people who don't want to buy apple..for whatever reason..may still want an iPod...who does that lead them to? HP, that's right. Apple might not sell those people a comptuer, but they're selling them an apple product..the iPod...and who knows....maybe after their experience with the iPod..an apple product..just maybe they'll want to try other apple products...like a powerbook, powermac, ibook, iMac..etc....it's a good business venture for both companies. Apple had to connect with someone in the pc world..and out of those in existence...HP had to be the number one choice (sony vio wasn't viable...for they are trying to sell their own music player). It wouldn't have made much since for HP to try and create their own player...it was too late in the game...they would have pretty much gone un noticed. Well, that's a long rant, but I hope that helps...at least with one persons take on the matter...an expansion of what's already been said..and a little more, I think.

OP
V

vuschejan

Just take a look at their past too, both companies were started basically out of a garage they relate very closley to each other.

OP
I

iSheep

Although it's got the HP logo on it, it has still got the Apple logo on it and the iPod brand. The adverts on TV all say Apple. The updates and software are provided by Apple from the Apple web site. iTunes is made by Apple. It has the Apple logo on it when you start it up. The box has the Apple logo on it.

It's still an Apple iPod.

OP
M

Matt

CompUSA said it doesn't need iTunes. Is this true or did they stuff up at CompUSA? I think it is a stupid idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn't matter what iPod you buy, iTunes will work with it. You don't even need iTunes to use the iPod, you can get plug-ins for other jukeboxes to use it with your iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I just purchased the 20gb iPod + HP because it was the only one CompUSA carried. From what one of the guys there told me is that HP has more manufacturing facilities and can help Apple produce the iPod to meet demands.

It's the exact same iPod except it says "HP" on the back. Also, the box comes with iTunes and tells you to use iTunes in the instructions..

OP
I

iSheep

HP don't make them, they all come from Apple.

Basically everything is just a load of rubbish. HP sell them to increase the iPod's market share. The HP logo is there to keep HP happy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.