iMac HD replacement

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.2QC, 27" (Oct 2012), iPad (3rd)、iPhone 6 Plus
Hi there

What is the best way to replace the internal HD of iMac G5?

I have a 250GB HD and it is almost full. I thought about an external HD but I still like to have a larger capacity HD inside, say 500-750GB. What I understand is to transfer the contents from the internal HD to external storage first? Then install a new and larger capacity HD and transfer the original contents from 250GB HD? If this is a correct way to do, how would happen to the OS?

My question sounds stupid :Oops: but I really don't know how-to. I did some research and found many people have upgraded their HD to bigger ones but did not say much about 'transferring' the contents or 'use of external HD for a temporary storage'.

I downloaded a manual from Apple about HD replacement procedure. It seems not really complicated.

If someone can help me out, I will appreciate.

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
OP
odenkun
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I just ordered a new optical driver from OWC. My O/D has been out of order and only can read/burn CDs. I will see what I can do by following cloning method.

OP
odenkun
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just received a new optical drive by Panasonic from OWC. Well, I am now having a problem. :Grimmace: The replacement instruction I downloaded from apple site was for earlier iMac G5 and I learned later model (my iMac G5 2.1GHz w/iSight) has a different design to access to the inside, which is very difficult. Instead of opening from the backside, the later G5 model needs to be opened from the screen side. So far, I have few information as to procedures and instructions to safely access and replace the optical drive or HD.

If someone has any information for the instruction, that would be very helpful. Thanks,

Found a few sites for disassembly...

http://hardmac.com/news/2005-12-06/#4828
http://mactree.sannet.ne.jp/~kodawarisan/imac_intel/imac_intel01.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OP
odenkun
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the link. That discussion topic is very helpful. I knew that site (accelerate your mac) but I did not check.

OP
odenkun
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, after referencing some links and the one mrplow introduced, I finally replaced my optical drive. It took me about 1 hr as I was very careful but it was successfully completed. When I visited links, they seemed complicated and made me worried to try but it was not bad at all. Correct me if I am wrong but the foils that cover the surface do not do any particular function; just for the proof of warranty.

Anyways, I really like the new optical drive from OWC, Panasonic UJ-85JS. It is quieter than OEM drive and it creates almost no noise.

My next project is to upgrade the HD by Soulwar's reference. Since my optical drive is working fine, I am now thinking about Leopard then expanding the HD capacity.

OP
odenkun
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do not intend to bring back an old thread but I recently replaced OEM 250GB internal HD to Seagate 1.5TB SATA internal HD. OWC had a great sale ($109) for this 1.5TB internal HD and I had to get it. I cloned 250GB to an external 320GB (Nuptune by OWC), took out OEM HD, and changed it to 1.5TB HD. Replacing the HD was a breeze thanks to my previous experience to replace an optical drive. Cloning took about 12 hours and I used the external HD as a startup disk. After the change, everything seems twice faster than before and I am very glad I did this.

I just wanted to share my experience with others for the future reference.

Reaction score
I replaced my drive and I used Time Machine to restore all of my files after I loaded the Operating System (Leopard). Took a lillle time, but it worked great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.