First Mac, second time Mac user.

Reaction score
So, final got rid of my Dell 9400 (17inch wide screen, 2gb ram, 7900gs video card.)
went to buffalo on monday, (canadian family day, us holilday (don't know which one)) and bought a mid range macbook. (white, 2.2ghz)
it's so relieving to have a laptop that is a smaller size. i can have it on my lap and not blocking things i'm looking at like the tv. :p
i just finished transferring my music, (have to sort out my playlists) and now my pictures.
now here is my question:
who uses iphoto and what are the advantages of using it instead of preview, etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Welcome to Mac-Forums and congrats on your new MacBook!

iPhoto is an app to ORGANIZE your photos... Preview is simply a viewer with no organizational attributes whatsoever.

iPhoto

vs

Preview

OP
K
Reaction score
thanks.
1 more question regarding time machine. i have an external usb drive, how much space will time machine take up on that drive with lets say 100gb of data? (including programs and osx).
i'd like time machine to do back ups but only when i plug in the drive and tell it to do a back up. is that possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
The TimeMachine backup file will be the same size as your Mac's "used" space.
If you have "used" 50gb on your mac... the TimeMachine backup will be 50gb.

The TimeMachine backup will increase in size though... the backup size will be as if you never deleted anything from your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
Congrats on your new purchase! I bought the same machine just three weeks ago and am extremely happy. The people on these forums are very generous with their time and you can get answers to most of your questions here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.