MBP, 4 gigs, parallels, and vista

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 ghz mbp, 2 gb of ram, 128 mb Vram
I have a question. So I've had my MBP for about 7 months, and I love it. I upgraded to leopard and have had no problems with that, and recently instaled vista via bootcamp. I like being able to run vista because it allows me to play games, as you all probably know, but its very in convenient to exchange files between the two(ntfs format at 4 gb), and have to restart the computer each time to do so. My question is would i be able to run parallels with vista and still play a game at the same settings that I use when using bootcamp. Would an upgrade to 4 gigs be helpful in keepng the speed the same, or would the difference be to noticable. Here are my specs
core 2 duo 2.2 ghz
santa rosa
nvidia 8600m 128mb
2 gb ram
120 gb hd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2GHz 2GB RAM 120 GB HD 15" NVidia 8800MGT 128MB - iPhone 3G
When using parallels you only get about 80% speed compared to running boot camp. If you use windows for games, definitely stay with boot camp. Also boot camp makes your MBP a complete PC so you have no compatibility issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Care to share where you got that 80% number?

Virtualization on an Intel Mac isn't the same as it was with the PowerPC Macs where VirtualPC would work at a snail's pace. Parallels and Fusion can operate Windows at above the 95% mark if sufficient memory is available. Granted, playing games isn't exactly up there in terms of performance, but for every other task, it runs just as fast as it would on any PC with similar specs.

As to answer the OP's question, I can safely say that gaming in Fusion or Parallels won't be anywhere near what you get from running Windows via Boot Camp. I agree with Keat, stick with restarting when you want to play a game.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
vista and parallels just isnt for me. XP is fine, somewhat. Virtualization has come a long way from what i have read, it still has a little bit to go.

good software though. I run a Parallels VM with 4GB (1gb to VM) on a 2.2MB with a 7200 HD in it. Its decent.

Reaction score
Care to share where you got that 80% number?

Virtualization on an Intel Mac isn't the same as it was with the PowerPC Macs where VirtualPC would work at a snail's pace. Parallels and Fusion can operate Windows at above the 95% mark if sufficient memory is available..

lol... care to share where you got that 95% number? :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.