transfer iWeb contents to another's software?

Reaction score
I designed an iWeb site for my friends' band, and now we want to have them (who are complete beginners) take it over. They are buying their own copy of iWeb (iLife) to do this. Is there a way to import/transfer all my files into their software, maybe thru my iDisk, or must I re-create it for them on their computer? I publish their site to a folder, then upload it to their private domain. www.deltanationals.com Anyone? I'm still a beginner... much to learn! THanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I think you'll find the folder with the content in your personal folder under "Library/Application Support/iWeb" in a special file that is a folder with a name something like Domain.sites2. That is the name on my system. I'm guessing you could burn that to a CD and they could copy that file to the same location on their Mac. If they already have an iWeb creation, they could try making a new user and use that to maintain the site.

Note that I don't know if you'll have to give them other files such as your iWeb preferences file. I'm guessing this process will work.

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks! I'll give it a go this week. I found my preferences, in case I need them, as 'com.apple.iweb.plist' in the preferences folder. I can't quite see how the 'new user' choice will come into play, but maybe once I get going on it I'll be obvious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I can't quite see how the 'new user' choice will come into play
As far as I know a user can only have one iWeb creation, or file as I've indicated. If the member of the band who will be maintaining their site has his own personal iWeb creation, say a personal home page, then he cannot also have the band file in that location. So to get around this limit, he would create a new user and copy your creation for that new user and maintain the band file using that special account.

OP
M
Reaction score
I see. Isn't there also some trick if he did want to maintain two private domain web addresses (which he doesn't) where you "publish all" to one folder on your desktop or wherever, then only upload the files for the site you want to update? I guess that's different than what you are saying. I think I'll figure out where the user option is when I get into it. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, that is different. You can create different sites, but when you publish to a folder, iWeb publishes them all and then you have to figure it out a little bit. The problem is integrating the site you've created into the file structure iWeb uses in that folder I mentioned. I don't know how to do that.

OP
M
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how it'll work. Re-creating the site from all my files wouldn't be that awful either, if I had to. But it might go ok considering his whole software will be devoted to this one site. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.