iPod nano won't show up on Desktop or iTunes

Reaction score
My 1st generation ipod nano won't show up on my desktop or my itunes when i plug it in but it does charge. I've tried the five R's to try to help, but they did not work. can anyone help me? thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It seems someone had a similar issue, and the solution was to reinstall iTunes. So... try that and see how that works out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
It seems someone had a similar issue, and the solution was to reinstall iTunes. So... try that and see how that works out.

Well, I wonder if there is an easier way... before you take that step, do you have a friend with either a PC or a Mac, but with iTunes loaded? Can you try your Nano on their system to see if it is recognized? It could be a hardware problem. It could also be something as simple as the cable or the USB connector. Is it possible for you to borrow another one from the same or another friend just long enough for a quick test?

OP
S
Reaction score
alright so i tried my sister's usb connecter cord (im not sure if thats what it's called lol) on my computer and it recognized my ipod and everything but now it doesn't upload new songs that i've gotten. my ipod says it has 342 songs but my itunes says i have 367 songs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK good. So we know that the iPod is likely OK. Your "number of songs" issue could be a lot of things, most probably a sync policy issue - you have it set to sync only checked songs for example, or only certain playlists, or...

Is this possible?

In this case, you would get fewer songs on the iPod than you have in iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
Well, I wonder if there is an easier way... before you take that step, do you have a friend with either a PC or a Mac, but with iTunes loaded? Can you try your Nano on their system to see if it is recognized? It could be a hardware problem. It could also be something as simple as the cable or the USB connector. Is it possible for you to borrow another one from the same or another friend just long enough for a quick test?

how is this easier than reinstalling itunes?

thats as easy as it gets without leaving your home for another machine :)

i had this problem with an ipod, a 2GB 1gen nano. it wouldnt recognize it anymore on the desk. Of course i blamed windows, but ended up reinstalling itunes, worked fine afterwards.

Reaction score
Yup, that was me, worked a treat, same problem, was charging but not showing up. And reinstalling iTunes is just a doddle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how is this easier than reinstalling itunes?

Well, I have a general rule about not messing with software unless I know that it is broken. You never know what side effects re-installing something might have. It is much less risky to try some obvious hardware debugging first. If that doesn't turn anything up, then I agree with you. In this case, it seems to have worked, which is good.

OP
S
Reaction score
could someone possibly explain how to reinstall itunes or how to change the syncing settings? thanks.. im not too tech savy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.