Mail Problems sending attachments to PC

Reaction score
I am having problems sending attachments to PCs. This problem has only just started to happen - first the files were embedded but now the attachments show as an X when sent to a PC. I haven't changed anything in the Mail program so I don't know exactly what is happening. If I send the files using webmail then the files go without any problems and even show up as attachments. I have been creating jpegs using AI and thought that that may be a problem but I since have made the jpegs from Photoshop and that didn't work. I used to send Photoshop jpegs all the time without problems. If any one has any ideas as to what I can try I would appreciate it.

Maureen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Are you sending these jpegs to a new user or have you sent to the same people before with no problems

Reaction score
If you have not fixed this by now, try changing the name of the attachment file you are sending by closing up the spaces between the words. I know it sounds implausible, but it worked when I had the same problem.

Reaction score
I have just migrated to Mac and am having the same problem sending attachments. Which words do you mean about closing them up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I have just migrated to Mac and am having the same problem sending attachments. Which words do you mean about closing them up?

Click on the name beneath the .jpg icon, wait one second, and then click the name again. It should highlight, after which use the arrow and Delete keys to remove any spaces between letters. Be sure not to remove the .jpg suffix though.

Another thing you can try is to place the underline/underscore character between letters eg. my_pic.jpg.

When a Win friend repeatedly failed to receive attachments I sent, I changed the pic format to .png, and for some reason that cured the problem. That might work for you.

Reaction score
jpgs to win machines fixed; I think

I am using 10.5.6 and mail 3.5

I recently had a complaint from one of my clients that he could not save a jpg I sent him. I tested this myself and found that indeed, the photo was embedded into the message and all I could select was and read heaps of posts.

Yes, I have windows friendly attachments set.
Yes, I have attach at bottom set
No, I don't use photoshop

I have found that setting mail to only send as plain text leaves jpg's as attachments and when in rich text it embeds the jpg into the message and windows cannot save it.

My way of thinking is that if you attach something, you are attaching it, not embedding it.

It looks to me like a flaw in mail 3.5 not a windows issue as may people imply.

Hope this helps some of you

am

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
zip it and send it. personally I prefer zipped attachments anyway

Reaction score
2 years later... The solution.

Just remove the choice "Friendly windows attachments", interestingly it will send the images as attachments instead of inline. Just had this problem with a client, this solution worked.

Reaction score
Not a very good answer, but turning OFF "rich text" did the trick. Personally, I don't like sending email as plain text, so I'm not happy about this solution. I hope this is fixed in the near future.

But, having photos inline in the email is more terrible so I'll live with this solution for the time being.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.