My G5 Imac is slow

R

rcottere

I'm a Slackware user but i decided to buy a new Imac because OSX looks so cool. The only problem it's a bit laggy on OSX. The Dock is a bit laggy and it really shows when I am typing something in iChat or OpenOffice. There is lag between the keystrokes and when the words appear on the screen. When i was running Virtual PC (Windows XP, you can't wine everything) it takes a good five minutes to boot and the mouse is very slow (I upped to ram to 320 and the vram to 16 on the virtual pc). Is there something that might be running in the background that eats memory or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Bluntly VirtualPC is terrible. It is an emulator but nothing will ever be fast on it.

How much ram do you have on your iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
rcottere said:
I'm a Slackware user but i decided to buy a new Imac because OSX looks so cool. The only problem it's a bit laggy on OSX. The Dock is a bit laggy and it really shows when I am typing something in iChat or OpenOffice. There is lag between the keystrokes and when the words appear on the screen. When i was running Virtual PC (Windows XP, you can't wine everything) it takes a good five minutes to boot and the mouse is very slow (I upped to ram to 320 and the vram to 16 on the virtual pc). Is there something that might be running in the background that eats memory or something.

Slow iChat sounds like your Internet connection is slow. OpenOffice runs in X11, and therefor is quite slow too... On the Mac OpenOffice just plain sucks, no matter if it's a G4 or G5.
And VirtualPC, as monkey said, is also very slow by definition...
So don't worry, it's not your Mac that's slow, it's the apps you're using ;)

OP
R

rcottere

I have 512 and cable internet so maybe it's a bug or something with iChat, i switched to gaim anyay. Thanks, i thought virtual pc would be faster, vmware runs at a decent pace :)

OP
R

rcottere

`

Matt said:
Do you like it though :)

Slackware will always have a place in my heart but OSX is very pleasing to the eye. Why on earth do they still ship with that one button mouse. Other than that it's great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Im still trying to figure out the same thing, I always replace my mouse pretty quickly to a multibutton mouse.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Apple is the anti PC. So everything they create is different. So if you want a multi button mouse, they leave it to third parties.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I believe it's called "The Mouse" now that looks to be an awesome mouse...

OP
B

BillD222

check your settings

i've run VPC on many macs much much slower than the iMac G5. it could be a few things, but first check your mouse settings and your energy saver settings (use auto or highest - reduced is) RAM could be another issue. if you have a lot of apps running and your running VPC running windoze - your asking for a slow down anyway - especially w/o a lot of RAM. the stock 256 is the bare min for OS X if that's all u have put in a 512 mod.

The VPC issue could be a MS issue. I was skeptical how well it would run once MS bought it from Connectix. Also, is it the G5 clean version?

just some things i thought might be an issue...

hope it helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
I'd up the RAM if you can, Open Office uses a lot never mind VPC which is a killer.
Have you tried the NeoOfficeJ version of Open Office for Mac rather than X11? I find it better although it's still RAM hungry, I only have a G4 but have 510 RAM.
http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums
Take Care

OP
M

mtrouardriolle

Which release of Virtual PC are you running? By all accounts, it needs to be Virtual PC v7 to be supported on a G5...

Not sure if that means that VPC v6.1 won't work/won't work properly/or you just don't get any support...

OP
F

flonejek

I also use neooffice :D, it doesn't need X11 too, which is a resource hog. On my iBook things only start getting sluggish if I'm compiling something, or using X11, so I think it may be X11/VPC ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.