Looking for wireless router, please advise.

Reaction score
I need to get a new wireless router for my mac book pro. i heard something about it being good to go with Wireless N (also hear thats the best wireless technology out right now). Can someone confirm this and recommend a good router. or am i wrong about all of this and can someone straighten me out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2GHz 2GB RAM 120 GB HD 15" NVidia 8800MGT 128MB - iPhone 3G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
It really depends on what kind of ranger and speed your looking to get. I have a Linksys Wireless G router and it works fine for everyday surfing and online gaming. But it's also right beside me so range isn't much of a issue with me.

If your looking for maximum range and speed for gaming/downloading/streaming then I would spend the money and go with the N, but if your just using it for a couple of rooms that are in close proximity and for everyday surfing, light gaming then the G would be plenty fine.

OP
B
Reaction score
i also want my wireless network to work on multi-floors. the router would be on the top floor and my ps3 would be on the bottom, with one floor in the middle of them both. will the g work or should go with the n?

Reaction score
I believe the PS3 has a built-in G card so it wouldn't be able to communicate at N speeds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
as for a good brand of router, i would strongly suggest either the apple airport, or a linksys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
For G-speed routers, the Linksys WRT54G series is one of the best out there. But when I upgraded to an N-speed router, I was very disappointed. I had excellent connectivity on the 2nd floor, but not in my basement office three feet from the router. I returned it and bought a Netgear, and have very good connectivity regardless of my location.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.