Mac Pro video editing configuration

Reaction score
Hi everyone i'm new of the forum.

I'ld like to ask some advice about the configuration of the Mac Pro i'm going to buy. We're an indipendet factory and we''ll use the Macpro principally to edit documentaries and indipendent little movies with FCS2

I'm a newbie about Mac, so i read other threads, this is what i achieved to, tell me if i'm wrong:

Processor: 2 processor Intel Xeon quad core 2.8Ghz should be enough. 3.0 Ghz or more is better considering the big difference about costs?

Ram: 4Gb o 8Gb or more? I read that is no good to buy it in apple store cause is a lot more expensive. anyway i'll have to take 2Gb from them, right? Is it difficult to install the new Ram on my own? Which ram is good?

video: is Ge Force 8800 512Mb the optimal choice ore something x3, x4 Radeon is better?

Hard disk: What kind ok hard disk configuration do you think can be the best performing? Consider that we will have at least 3Tb of externa drives that we use for storage when we shoot out of town. How many TB should i add for internal drives? 7200 SATA 3.sGb/s is any good? Which one for the OS? Any other advice about the drives configuration?

Monitor: we were thinking at least at 2 monitor 23''. Apple Hd is any good, or there is something better for that price?

Are there any other aspects to consider about the configuration for editing?

Thank in advance for answer and sorry for my poor english :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whitebook 2.2, 4gb RAM, 200gb 7200RPM HD
Hi everyone i'm new of the forum.

I'ld like to ask some advice about the configuration of the Mac Pro i'm going to buy. We're an indipendet factory and we''ll use the Macpro principally to edit documentaries and indipendent little movies with FCS2

I'm a newbie about Mac, so i read other threads, this is what i achieved to, tell me if i'm wrong:

Processor: 2 processor Intel Xeon quad core 2.8Ghz should be enough. 3.0 Ghz or more is better considering the big difference about costs?

Ram: 4Gb o 8Gb or more? I read that is no good to buy it in apple store cause is a lot more expensive. anyway i'll have to take 2Gb from them, right? Is it difficult to install the new Ram on my own? Which ram is good?

video: is Ge Force 8800 512Mb the optimal choice ore something x3, x4 Radeon is better?

Hard disk: What kind ok hard disk configuration do you think can be the best performing? Consider that we will have at least 3Tb of externa drives that we use for storage when we shoot out of town. How many TB should i add for internal drives? 7200 SATA 3.sGb/s is any good? Which one for the OS? Any other advice about the drives configuration?

Monitor: we were thinking at least at 2 monitor 23''. Apple Hd is any good, or there is something better for that price?

Are there any other aspects to consider about the configuration for editing?

Thank in advance for answer and sorry for my poor english :)

Just a quickie post because I don't have much time now.

Graphics Card: Get one with good memory but doesn't have to superduper 3d card as video/photo editing is 2d.

Hard Drive: If video editing is primary use consider going with hardware RAID array (preferably RAID5) this will allow much faster capture, editing, and video rendering speeds than just internal.

Monitors: I'd check out the high-end NEC and LaCie LCD monitors. These are supposed to have even better color and illumination across the entire field than the Apple monitors.

Hope someone has more advice for you and sorry for not being able to address each question more substantially. Will try to later.

Best!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.