Frequent color wheel

Reaction score
Hello I am new to the forum. I come looking for answers on my 15" G4 Powerbook 1.25 gighrts. I used the search and didn't find much that helped. The thinking "color wheel" comes up quite freguently now. The harddrive has almost 30 gig free space and I'm normally using it to surf the web. Any ideas why it does this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
How much RAM do you have?

Free space doesn't have too much to do with it, I don't believe, unless you're really low.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 10.5.4, 2GB RAM, 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Could be a number of things. Depending on the amount of RAM you have, and the speed of your processor, it may not be able to handle complex websites/programs. Another thing is: how hot is your battery when this happens? When a battery overheats, the color wheel could also show up.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Also how often you system puts your hard disk drives to sleep.

OP
I
Reaction score
Could be a number of things. Depending on the amount of RAM you have, and the speed of your processor, it may not be able to handle complex websites/programs. Another thing is: how hot is your battery when this happens? When a battery overheats, the color wheel could also show up.

I have a 1.25 ghz processor and 512 mb ddr sdram. I'm only running 2 to 4 programs most of the time(safari, quicktime, itunes, and aim). I don't notice a relation between the battery heat and color wheel but I'll look for it now. I think my battery is on it's way out cuz it does get hot but also it wants to go to sleep when it has 80% battery life.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
System Preferences -> Engery Saver

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Hi-Def/2GB RAM/250GB HD // iPhone 3Gs 16GB // iPod Classic 80GB
Also, clean your desktop if you haven't already. A lot of stuff on the desktop can cause a lot of slowdown.

M

MacHeadCase

Verify this ? It's true : each and every file or folder on the desktop is a Finder window ready to be opened so the system stores it in some kind of virtual memory or cache for quick access. One of the ways to help a slow Mac is to keep your desktop very clean.

And the OP should add a lot more RAM, IMO. 512 MB of RAM nowadays is simply not enough.

The problem could be the OS X version with clogged up cache. Or user cache that's full. Depending on the OS X version, repairing disk permissions might help or not. Could be a few things.

Reaction score
Verify this ? It's true : each and every file or folder on the desktop is a Finder window ready to be opened so the system stores it in some kind of virtual memory or cache for quick access. One of the ways to help a slow Mac is to keep your desktop very clean.

And the OP should add a lot more RAM, IMO. 512 MB of RAM nowadays is simply not enough.

The problem could be the OS X version with clogged up cache. Or user cache that's full. Depending on the OS X version, repairing disk permissions might help or not. Could be a few things.

Thanks for the explanation. My desktop is very cluttered.

OP
I
Reaction score

How do you clear the user cashe?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.