You Guys have big issues

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok Guys some nice positive feedback. I guess ill put it through its paces and give it a go.

Just another little niggle. Ive read that you are not supposed to move th MBP until it fuly goes to sleep when closing the lid as this si whats been causing the issues with the Hard drives. I always close my lid and run. Isnt that what notebooks/laptops are for ( mobilty).

SO whats really the score with trying to put it to sleep first then moving it ????

Reaction score
I can't tell you the number of times I have picked up my 'Book and closed the lid as I was walking out the door! From full on to sleep on the move.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
Ok Guys some nice positive feedback. I guess ill put it through its paces and give it a go.

Just another little niggle. Ive read that you are not supposed to move th MBP until it fuly goes to sleep when closing the lid as this si whats been causing the issues with the Hard drives. I always close my lid and run. Isnt that what notebooks/laptops are for ( mobilty).

SO whats really the score with trying to put it to sleep first then moving it ????

Man, I don't know where you're reading this stuff, but it sounds like a less than reputable source. :)

A Mac laptop works just like any other laptop (well, better I think). You can treat it the same as you do any laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
My three year old iBook goes to sleep within a second or two when I close the lid, while my brand new work-laptop from Dell uses 10-20 seconds.

Like GroovyLinuxGuy says... treat it as any other laptop... the only difference from a hardware perspective is that a Mac is usually much more robust, slick and solid than you average "made in taiwan" Wintel laptop.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

I would say it's not of great concern, but the advice was probably given as a preventative measure. It's best not to jostle a hard drive around while it's running, but even still, notebook hard drives are designed with a certain amount of shock tolerance, even when running.

Again, try to rationalize what you're seeing when you're on a web forum. You are seeing a tiny cross-section of the community. And those that you are seeing are very likely only coming here because they have a problem. Even if you're seeing a couple of people a day posting problems with hard drives, that's only a small fraction of a percentage of the total number of units in deployment. Remember, Apple sells hundreds of thousands of these things per year.

What you're saying in your original post is akin to driving past a Toyota dealer that has a dozen cars sitting waiting for service. Does that mean that all Toyotas are unreliable or problematic? Absolutely not - it's just that people usually only bring their car into a dealer for service when it's having a problem or due for maintenance. Same thing here. The vast majority of people who come here are looking for help or are complaining about a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.