LCD Backlight Burnout...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo, 120Gb HD, 2Gb Ram, OS 10.4.11/PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8Ghz, 1.5Gb RAM, 500Gb HD
When I got my new (to me) iBook G3 800, I wound up selling my old iBook 600 to my friend. She has had it for less than a month, and the LCD Backlight has burned out. She contacted Apple (she says) and claims she was told that they would not sell her the part outright, and that it would cost $343 anyways. A certified Apple tech she knows from her workplace can't get the part either. I'm going to see about getting an iBook off eBay for parts, and see if I can't scrounge a Backlight for her. Does anyone have any instructions or know of a site with instructions for replacing the backlight? Could there be another explaination for what happened, or am I on the right track?

OP
DakRoland
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo, 120Gb HD, 2Gb Ram, OS 10.4.11/PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8Ghz, 1.5Gb RAM, 500Gb HD
Update: It appears my first thought was correct. After a full day of searching, it appears the iBook has the exact symptons of an iBook with a fried Display inverter. The Part costs around $40, so I'm going to try and get that and repair the display. I'll post my results here later. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.