G4 iMac from 2002

Reaction score
I am right now using my brand new duo core iMac with Leopard.

Before I give my 2002 iMac with 10.3.9 on it to my Mom, I wanted to wipe it clean (for obvious reasons)... Of course the Leopard install DVDs that came with the new one will not work on the old one.

When and IF I purchase Leopard for the old iMac, will it work and do I need to specify? Is the DVD I get in the store different than the one I got with the new iMac?

So I am now reinstalling the original software that came with the old iMac and trying to remember how and where I got the 10.3.9 (I probably "found it")

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is the speed of the G4 CPU in that iMac? If it's 867Mhz or higher it will install. Give it as much RAM as you can also.

The Leopard DVD in the store is a Full Install and will run on any Mac. The one with your new iMac is Machine Specific and will only work on the exact model it shipped with and also it's NOT Universal so will not install on a Power PC Mac.

OP
tastyorange
Reaction score
I think it is 800 Mhz (can't look right now since it has installer running).
It has 768 RAM (limit of 1 gig). I wish I could put in the 1 gig Ram chip that is left over from the new iMac (but highly doubt it will fit-LOL).

Is there a place where I can purchase or download 10.4.9 legally?

M

MacHeadCase

You won't be able to download and purchase OS X Tiger legally.

Try eBay for a Tiger full retail install DVD. The disk has to be black.

If it is grey, it's a restore disk which is hardware specific and it won't work on your iMac because those iMacs were released with OS 9 and OS X Jaguar if I'm not mistaken.

This is exactly what the disk should look like:

attachment.php

And the latest Tiger version is 10.4.11 which is what I am using at present.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.