OpenOffice about to go out the OpenWindow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
I downloaded OpenOffice software in hopes of using a more up-to-date (so I was told) office software suite until I get MS Office 2008.

It worked the first few times I opened it. I did have to install X11 off my installation disc in order to run it.

Well, I opened it and it looks more like it belongs on Windows 95 rather than on ANYTHING in 2008.

Anyway, back to the problem. It now refuses to open. The triangle appears below the icon in the Dock, but it does nothing.

I certainly hope all open source "stuff" isn't this bad. :eek: Linux doesn't stand a chance in the OS world if it runs the way OpenOffice does. :|

I attached a screenshot of the window.

Picture 2.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ugh! Looks like Clarisworks from back about 1994!

Personally use MS Office despite all that M$ hang ups we see in Mac chat forums. NeoOffice may be a little better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Agreed... you should try NeoOffice instead. It's OpenOffice ported to run natively in OS X using Java.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A 3rd for NeoOffice. It's more OSX like and does not need X11 to run either. Not sure why OpenOffice is acting that way. I have not messed with in ages now.

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks all!

Where can I acquire NeoOffice? OpenOffice looks like it was from the Neolithic times...

Edit: Nevermind, I found it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
Nice, I haven't used NeoOffice in a little while...I always seemed to have one issue or another with it. I might just try it out again.

As for open office, I have been using that since it was StarOffice (I think Sun still offers StarOffice for a price). I looks fine and works great on my linux machines but your right, it looks out of place on a Mac...not..umm...bubbly enough. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Give NeoOffice a try, like everyone says.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Most X11 apps look similar, GIMP has the same 80's/Linux look to it. Another NeoOffice vote here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I have to ask .. what's wrong with iWork?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD

Same question here - I just switched to Mac a few weeks ago and have been playing with Pages from iWork. It seems pretty nice and I was about to buy it. Granted, NeoOffice is free but at $79 iWork is still a bargain.

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iWork is expensive and my "trials" have ran out. I don't even know what Pages and Keynote are, but the "trial" of them is gone.

MS Office works fine for me, but it's starting to slow down a bit.

I also just like to try new things, given that they work. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Personally I don't use Office apps enough to warrant buying it, as cheap as iWork is. I'll probably get it later as I do like Pages and Numbers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM

NeoOffice is better if you exchange files with complicated formatting with MS Office users and back. iWork is nice for creating your own files from scratch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I use the new Office apps, only Entourage for exchange email from work, and Word. Although, Word takes a long time to load, and the page layout features I never use. I really do like Pages, it is simple, loads quickly, and for me has all the features I need. I have not yet had a problem with using Pages and exporting as a .Doc format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
I use the new Office apps, only Entourage for exchange email from work, and Word. Although, Word takes a long time to load, and the page layout features I never use. I really do like Pages, it is simple, loads quickly, and for me has all the features I need. I have not yet had a problem with using Pages and exporting as a .Doc format.

Try to do it with documents using mathematical formulas....

Reaction score
NeoOffice does a nice job with the complicated formats from my MS Word-based office environment. I work in that natively via remote desktop connection but use NeoOffice to open files emailed to me when I'm too lazy to connect remotely and it works great. OpenOffice was subpar as indicated above. And did we mention it's FREE? :)

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.