Encrypting USB flash drives

Reaction score
I want to be able to encrypt the contents of my USB flash drive, but be able to un-encryypt it anywhere on any system i plug it in to with out having to install software, such as university computers.

I have looked at true crypt for this, but it requires the user to have it installed on the system that you want to use the drive on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
IMO the easiest way to do it would be to create a password protected ZIP folder and keep it on the thumbdrive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I use disk utility to create an encrypted disk image on the usb stick. All my sensitive company data goes on the disk image

Determine how big a "folder" you need

Go to Utilities > Disk Utility and create a new disk image (new image button)

Select a size, select 128 encryption and read/write

Once done it will ask you for a password. Mount the disk image and put all your files in in.

When mounting the disk image make sure "add password to keychain" is off, otherwise anybody can open it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I use disk utility to create an encrypted disk image on the usb stick. All my sensitive company data goes on the disk image

Determine how big a "folder" you need

Go to Utilities > Disk Utility and create a new disk image (new image button)

Select a size, select 128 encryption and read/write

Once done it will ask you for a password. Mount the disk image and put all your files in in.

When mounting the disk image make sure "add password to keychain" is off, otherwise anybody can open it

I do the same thing... but the OP is wanting to be able to open it on "ANY" computer (Windows), which is why a password protected .zip would be better suited than a .dmg

Reaction score
I have a 4Gb USB stick which is formatted FAT32 and includes a Password option - this works on my Macbook and PCs. Presumably Linux too?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
I have a 4Gb USB stick which is formatted FAT32 and includes a Password option - this works on my Macbook and PCs. Presumably Linux too?

How do you put a password to it? Thanks.

Reaction score
How do you put a password to it? Thanks.

It is done by software built into the Memory stick itself (there are 2 partitions). The password option only works under Windows - although I have not looked recently to see if OS X is now catered for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.