Nothing works properly after 10.5.2 update

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a huge problem with my MacBook. After installing the 10.5.2 update and the graphics update, my MacBook ran for several hours without any issues (i left it working and was not doing anything on it). When I came back, I noticed that it ran unusually slow and tried to reboot it. It did not work - the blue screen appeared and then I was automatically logged back to Mac OS X. I had to hold the power button to shut it down, but to no avail - when it booted back, I noticed several problems:

I could not start any program - it just bounced on the dock and then disappeared;
There were no icons on the right side of the menubar - no clock, no spotlight - nothing;
I managed to copy the full 10.5.2 update from a USB stick, but it could not start - just as any other program;
When I tried to shut down, logout or restart, it took me to a blank blue screen and then automatically logged back in;
When I tried to run the system from the Mac OS X installation CD at startup, or do anything else at startup, no key combination seemed to work - C, shift, D. Nothing. So I cannot even Archive and Install, since it cannot boot from the CD.
The fan keeps spinning like crazy, the hard drive is active all the time, but nothing visible happens. The system is incredibly slow.

What should I do next in order to fix the issue?

OP
G
Reaction score
And now for something completely crazy - the only applications that seem to launch are from Microsoft Office!?

Photoshop starts as well, and that`s about it.

M

MacHeadCase

Can you start up from your DVD restore disk ? Once booted, from the menubar, launch Disk Utility and repair the hard drive and repair disk permissions. If this doesn't help, maybe you're in for a reinstall of Leopard.

Why not give Apple Care a ring ? See if they can't help you out of this situation if my suggestion doesn't work...

Report back to let us know how it goes. Good luck ! :)

OP
G
Reaction score
This is the problem - I cannot start up from the restore disk, because no key combination works at starup... If I could, I would have done an Archive & Install...

M

MacHeadCase

Gee! Do you have access to another Mac with FireWire? You could try to reinstall via Target Disk mode.

Anyway if you are still under warranty, give Apple Care a call.

OP
G
Reaction score
Target Disk is a good idea - didn`t think about it.... I`ll try and report back.

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a huge problem with my MacBook. After installing the 10.5.2 update and the graphics update, my MacBook ran for several hours without any issues (i left it working and was not doing anything on it). When I came back, I noticed that it ran unusually slow and tried to reboot it. It did not work - the blue screen appeared and then I was automatically logged back to Mac OS X. I had to hold the power button to shut it down, but to no avail - when it booted back, I noticed several problems:

I could not start any program - it just bounced on the dock and then disappeared;
There were no icons on the right side of the menubar - no clock, no spotlight - nothing;
I managed to copy the full 10.5.2 update from a USB stick, but it could not start - just as any other program;
When I tried to shut down, logout or restart, it took me to a blank blue screen and then automatically logged back in;
When I tried to run the system from the Mac OS X installation CD at startup, or do anything else at startup, no key combination seemed to work - C, shift, D. Nothing. So I cannot even Archive and Install, since it cannot boot from the CD.
The fan keeps spinning like crazy, the hard drive is active all the time, but nothing visible happens. The system is incredibly slow.

What should I do next in order to fix the issue?

since i did the update every time i reboot my leopard desktop machine i have to disconnect almost all the numerous usb firefox items i have connected. otherwise it just sits there. if i hook them up after it has booted no problems. called apl care they had me disconnect everything including power cable then wait 15 seconds and restart. still wouldn't but with usb/firewire items attached. then they had me hold r p options and command keys at the same _ a real jugging feat _ and turn the machine on. that also accomplished nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Are you using powered hubs or all power coming from the machine? That would seem to be the problem.

Reaction score
Sorry for asking, but what do you mean?

If you are using a USB hub then some come with their own power supply. I think what the Poster above you was asking was are you using a USB hub with its own power supply or is the hub getting its power from your computer itself?

Sincerely, Kat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.