• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

What is the problem with SONY HardDisk camcorder & iMovie??

Reaction score
I have varied success with importing from my USB SONY Hard Disk Drive Camcorder into iMovie. It just Doesn't work?

any help?

I have a SR60 Sony.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I did some Googling and got this discussion here:
http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/camcorders/sony-dcr-sr60_question.html?qid=6403

The following snippet seems relevant to your particular model:
According to SONY's FAQ, it isn't looking good:

USB streaming video or video transfer is not supported in an Apple® Macintosh® environment. When exporting video from the Apple® Macintosh® to the digital camcorder, the information needs to be sent in Digital Video (DV) compressed mode.

If there's one thing Sony is consistent at, it's their inconsistency, as the rest of that FAQ shows. Why can't they just stick to the standards once and for all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Which version of iMovie and what model camera?

OP
J
Reaction score
I have a SR60 and run iMovie08.

I have imported before, but it is generally hit & miss, I just can't the sequence right. ie: turn on the sony camcorder 1st, then start iMovie. I dunno, it is real frustrating. I have also Movie HD from iLIFE06, and no connection or import luck there.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
If the clips don't import directly try converting them with ffmpegx or mpeg stream clip or similar and then after that import them in to imovie.

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my SONY DCR- SR200. I movie automatically closes when I try to open it and quicktime doesnt recognize the clips. When I bought it the sales person "guaranteed" me that it would work with Imovie 08. No luck. Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook
I had to help my spanish teacher with this same problem a few weeks back. I ended up just taking the files and converting them in a batch converter. Forgot the name of the program. It will be much faster to do this if you don't wanna wait for the videos to capture. (depending on the length)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.