windows xp2 '3gb switch'

Reaction score
hi hope someone can help.

im running bootcamp and windows xp sp2. i need to edit the boot.ini file in order to allow more ram for my macbook for n application in windows. but when i do it according to searches on google i get many error messages on boot up about .exe file unable to initialize and then the computer crashes.

the original boot.ini file i'm editing contains the following:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

can anyone please suggest something?

thanks

OP
R
Reaction score
thank you for your response.

im rendering a complex scene in 3d max, as soon as it reaches 1.5GB ram the programme crashes. i need to do the switch and looking for advice on how the boot.ini file should be configured to suit my system. all the ones ive tried force my computer to run slow and then crash. when i revert back to the original boot.ini installed with windows the problem goes but i cant render the scene.

Do you know why the boot.ini is causing to crash? any suggestions on how my configuered boot.ini should look?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Did you not read the provided links? Why are you under the distinct impression that the /3Gb switch will solve your problem? Do you even understand what it does?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.