XCODE 3; what do IBAction and IBOutlet mean?

Reaction score
Hi - I think I may have worked this out, but I am not sure yet:

I am using XCODE 3 (and LOVING it!) to experiment with writing Apps. I think I can deduce that the "IB" in "IBOutlet" stands for "Interface Builder" - am I correct?. If this is so, then what does the "NS" in "NSButton" stand for please?.

I would find it much easier if I knew what these first TWO letters meant, so that I may program in the correct context.

Thanks!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Yes, IB stands for interface builder. NS stands for NextStep, the precursor to OpenStep which is the precursor of OS X.

You might find it easier to know what the letters mean, but is it relevant to getting work done. If you create you own library perhaps you would make the starting letters GWM for glossywhitemac. ;)

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes, IB stands for interface builder. NS stands for NextStep, the precursor to OpenStep which is the precursor of OS X.

You might find it easier to know what the letters mean, but is it relevant to getting work done. If you create you own library perhaps you would make the starting letters GWM for glossywhitemac. ;)

Your input has confirmed my suspicions; I know it wasn't exactly Sherlock Holmes stuff, but I just needed the confirmation; thanks!.

PS: If OpenStep is more recent than NextStep, then surely it would have been more logical to have:

OSBeep(); instead of NSBeep(); hmmmm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Sure, but then people who had coded NSBeep() would have had to convert all of their code. Although there were changes between the two libraries, there were likely many things that were not changed, so it was easier to continue to use the NS prefix and not add that extra hassle.

OP
G
Reaction score
Sure, but then people who had coded NSBeep() would have had to convert all of their code. Although there were changes between the two libraries, there were likely many things that were not changed, so it was easier to continue to use the NS prefix and not add that extra hassle.

Ahh yes this is true - granted, entire source code changes would be annoying JUST for the sake of updating the initials!. :). I am sure that Microsoft should be giving away Visual Studio with Windows, also... actually, why don't they just give away Windows AND the source code too, and cut their losses?. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.