I HAVE to use Rosetta to use Shockwave player?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
I'm really confused about this. I have a new MB and can't see videos, on YouTube, for example. It looks like I need it for IE and some videos in FF, too. I never set my old MB, which was Intel, too, to run in Rosetta. Why do I have to do it for this one?

Any help? This has been stalling me out for a while and I'd love to resolve it.

What does running in Rosetta do and are there any draw backs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
YouTube requires Flash player, but not Shockwave player. An Intel-native version of Flash is available from Adobe.

Like YouTube, most sites require only Flash, and not Shockwave, for video.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe I have the correct Flash player and for YouTube it works in FF and Safari. I was trying to play some videos for my kids that wouldn't work... oh, wait, they are working today. Go figure, Friday it said I needed a plug in, but today they work. Well, that's good.

However IE seems to be another story. I can't get YouTube videos to work. Do I need shockwave for IE? It keeps giving me the attached message, but I can't find the actual link for shockwave for intel mac, plus adobe says it only works in Safari & FF. I am totally mystified as to why it worked on my previous MB.

Picture 32.png

Reaction score
Are plug-ins enabled on your copy of IE? In explorer, open Preferences, then Browser Display, Then Web Content. There should be an option to enable plug-ins

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
IE for mac is getting very long in the tooth, its time to ditch it and use safari and FF instead

Reaction score
louishen is right. Using such an old browser is leaving yourself overly exposed to all sorts of exploits. Especially since it's IE

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
IE as in IE 5.0 for the Mac? Dump it as louishen suggested.

IE as in you're running XP or Vista in a virtual machine thru Parallels or VMFusion? You need to be looking for the windows download of shockwave, not the Mac version.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are plug-ins enabled on your copy of IE? In explorer, open Preferences, then Browser Display, Then Web Content. There should be an option to enable plug-ins

Yep, I checked, they are enabled.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IE for mac is getting very long in the tooth, its time to ditch it and use safari and FF instead

louishen is right. Using such an old browser is leaving yourself overly exposed to all sorts of exploits. Especially since it's IE

You guys are so silly. I HAVE to use it. I'm a web designer, I need to check my sites in IE to see how they render. When it looks close to normal, then I go check them in IE on a PC. :)

I use FF for everything else I do online.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Wouldn't it make sense to have xp or or vista running through virtualization with a current version of ie???

Reaction score
I'm guessing that the latest Flash install will not work for IE because Adobe sees no reason to develop for it. You will have to try uninstalling your latest Flash player (9??), and install an old flash player that had IE support. Youtube requires at least version 7, so I would start there. Below is a link for archived flash players. Each zip file will have instructions on how to uninstall your current player, and then install the old one. I think you want fp_7.0.14_plugin_mac_osx.hqx

Good luck

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wouldn't it make sense to have xp or or vista running through virtualization with a current version of ie???

akk! what? Is that something like parallels or bootcamp? I can have a current version of IE. That would be a dream come true. I HATE getting on the PC! lol.

I'm guessing that the latest Flash install will not work for IE because Adobe sees no reason to develop for it. You will have to try uninstalling your latest Flash player (9??), and install an old flash player that had IE support. Youtube requires at least version 7, so I would start there. Below is a link for archived flash players. Each zip file will have instructions on how to uninstall your current player, and then install the old one. I think you want fp_7.0.14_plugin_mac_osx.hqx

Good luck

Thanks, I will get on that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
There are some necessary evils in life..... the only way to use autocad is to go over to xp via bootcamp

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is "virtualization" = bootcamp/parallels?

OK, so if I use Parallels or Bootcamp, do I have to buy Vista or XP and then get IE? And I need to buy parallels or bootcamp, too, right? What would I need to spend for all that? How much room will it take up? How easy it is to switch back and forth? Where is the previous thread that explains all this so you guys don't have to waste your time telling me?

Reaction score
Bootcamp is included in OS 10.5 If you don't have leopard, your will have to upgrade to get it. It allows you to boot up your mac as a PC and run Windows or any other PC operating system. But you cannot run Mac OS X and windows at the same time.

Parallels and VM Ware Fusion are two different virtualization programs that you run like any other program on your mac. Within that program, you will have the windows operating system running. Think of it like a mini windows computer running inside your mac computer. You will be running 2 operating systems at the same time. You can switch between the two with a click of the mouse. Price of these programs is somewhere around $75

With either Boot Camp, or Parallels/Fusion, you will still need to buy a copy of Windows XP with service pack 2. IE is included with windows

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.