Reformat USB stick

Reaction score
I have a USB stick that I use all the time & I have taken everything out of it & put it into the trash but it is still telling me that it is full. How do I reformat my USB ??

Thanks

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
in your applications folder under utilities you'll find disk utility. open this with the usb drive attached. select the highest level of that drive should beneath your HD like this:

MAC HD
- mac hd name/details
USB DRIVE < select this
- usb drive name/details

from here you can reformat the drive.

oh - btw, did you try emptying the trash with the drive attached?

OP
M
Reaction score
That worked perfect thank you for such a quick response.
Yes I did empty th trash with it attached & that didn't help.

Thanks again

Robin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Also Remember after you delete from the usb drive you need to empty you desktop trash can...

Reaction score
Hey when i put my USB in my pc it keeps saying " The disk "USB" was not repairable by this computer. It is being made available to you with limited functionality. You must back up your data and reformat the disk as soon as possible." And when i try to reformat it over the Disk Utility it says " Input/output error " So what can i do ??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Common problem with U3 based flash drives\sticks. Nothing much you can do except throw it away. If you have any sensitive data on the drive, be sure to completely physically destroy it before throwing it away. Of course copy the data off the drive first (if possible).

BTW, most flash drives nowadays are NOT designed to be reformatted.

Regards.

Reaction score
I was having similar trouble and emptied my "trash" and it worked perfectly...thanks so much! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
My Philips has done that a few times so I would reformat using my win machine (but my Philips is an older model also) and that has fixed it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.