Red Safari Icon

Reaction score
I'm just curious why my safari icon in the dock has a deep maroon face instead of the blue that everyone else seems to have. It changed when we upgraded from jaguar to tiger. nothing seems to be malfunctioning -- and this is the only difference i can see from 3 other installations of tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
are you talking about finder or safari
finder has the face
safari has a compass looking icon

OP
H
Reaction score
It's the Safari icon -- my compass in the dock has a beautiful, deep, maroon face. (by face, i mean the face of the compass -- NOT a person's face or the finder icon).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Can you take a screenshot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
It looks like you changed the Safari icon yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Yup, looks like you may be using one of the many "facelift" type packages that install custom icons?

OP
H
Reaction score
yeah...well, i'm not -- unless the upgrade from jaguar to tiger automatically installs one. one minute it was blue, upgrade to tiger was "successful", and the next minute it's red. all other guesses are welcome though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone
It looks as if your 2 drive icons have been changed manually, something may have happened when while you were doing that.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes, we manually changed those drive icons BUT that was prior to our first upgrade to OS X from OS9 several years ago. We've gone through 3 upgrades and they've never been affected -- that is, we haven't had to go back and "reset" them to what you see here. this only happened a few months ago and it's not that big a deal, everything works properly, but, i am the only person that manages this unit, i did the upgrade, and the compass was a different color after the tiger install. i'm getting the suspicion that NO ONE has ever encountered this before.

i was hoping it was going to be like a wonka golden ticket: 1 of only 5 maroon compasses in the whole world would get you a trip the MAC factory and a personal tour with Steve Jobs, a lifetime supply of macs, and ownership of Apple when Steve calls it quits!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.