SSH problem

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm trying to remotely log onto my MBP from a Mac Mini on the same network. I've gone into settings and enabled remote login, and it handily tells me what i need to do to remotely login 'ssh [email protected]' - where me is my name and not my username.

So when I go to terminal on the other mac and type 'ssh [email protected]' the connection just times out. I tried it with my username, i.e. 'joe [email protected]' and get a different error message, which I think is to do with the fact there is a space in my username.

Any suggestions about where I am go wrong?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
The user you use to remote login with needs to be the user on the machine you are remote logging onto.

From MBP to MM the user needs to live on the MM and should be the shortname of the user. ie joebloggs not Joe Bloggs. Whatever it says in the Users folder to describe the home directory on the MM.

Make sense?

I tried reading my own post a few times and it doesn't sound good, but the gist is there.

OP
T
Reaction score
I tried the user name on my users folder, but that didn't seem to work either? On the MM I was using someone elses user account, but I thought that didn't matter as I'd 'log in' to my account on the MBP? Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
I tried the user name on my users folder, but that didn't seem to work either? On the MM I was using someone elses user account, but I thought that didn't matter as I'd 'log in' to my account on the MBP? Cheers.

It doesn't matter who's account you are ssh'ing from so long as you are using your account to log into

ssh me@myremotecomputer.

try using your the shortname that you have for your account.
eg my Username on my account it John Doe, when i ssh anywhere I use jd@someplace.

Also, if you have the same account name on both boxes, you don't need to use a username at all...just

ssh aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd

where abcd is the other machines ip address

If you are still getting errors, please post them and we can take a look and see what is going on

Cheers

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys - I'm now at home (the network with another mac on was at my girlfriends). I will try again next weekend and post on here. Cheers again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.