A good free keylogger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I wish to put a keylogger on my macbook so I can monitor my children's use and make sure they are not getting up to or talking to people they should not be.

Could you recommend me a nice, good free key logger than I can put on my macbook. It is important that it seems "invisible" so my kids do not know its there and disable it or what not. It also be useful if the program can email the log so if i can see what my macbook is being used for is im not at home of if its stolen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I'm not sure as it is a lot harder to hide running programs on a Mac, but I'll take a look around the web and see what i can find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
After doing some quick research, their are plenty of keyloggers for mac, but you will not find any for free and definitely not any free ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It'll run under Rosetta fine
All the others I found were OS 8 and 9

Edit: It may not work under Rosetta as it is a kernal extension - sorry

OP
I
Reaction score
in that case, can anyone recommend some of the best key loggers that you have to pay for?

Reaction score
if you are running leopard, have you considered just using parental controls? its seems like it would help you accomplish you goal plus some. its a pretty neat set of tools that will let you really keep track of what your children are doing, as well as limit the amount of time they can spend on the computer.

more info here:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/parentalcontrols.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB

Where I work, we use SpectorSoft when dealing with certain types of internal investigations. As a Security pro, it's GREAT! As an individual, it's horrible! As a parent, you NEED to be aware that it will show you far more about your children and their friends than you will have ever wanted to know. Especially if they are in the "trying to be an adult" stages of their lives.

I'm not a parent, but I am the mentor to a 13-year old boy. And I work with his Mom to make sure that he stays safe online. NetNanny is currently in use, and she wants to go to SpectorSoft, but I'm cautioning her to PLEASE be sure she wants to be that invasive. Every adolescent needs SOME form of privacy, and while I'm all for keeping the predators at bay, if you use spectorsoft, you WILL end up observing and gaining far more knowledge of your kids private lives than either of you dream of.

If you do ANY monitoring, my advice is to first, set them down and tell them WHY you are monitoring: "I love you and trust you, but there are a lot of people out there that we don't know, who will try to gain your trust. They can encourage you to try things that you wouldn't normally, and I don't trust THEM. Me using this monitoring software is kinda like me sitting on the porch while you play in the yard/street/your friends yard down the block. I do it because I love you, and I trust you, but also because people drive down this street that we don't know, and I don't trust them."

And then be prepared to ask yourself: "Didn't I do anything similar when I was their age?" and immediately ignore those actions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd
I have to agree with PerryLynch.
A keylogger of that magnitude is not something you want to use on your kids. Any keylogger is not really what you want to use on your kids. There are far more appropriate applications out there. Many find NetNanny to be more than sufficient.

I also have worked with these types of software in my work, you really do not want to take this type of action against someone you love. It will show you far more than you ever would want to know. Not to mention the utter invasion of privacy that this invokes, especially if done secretly. Please rethink this strategy, there are better solutions.

M

MacHeadCase

I also agree. Nothing beats a good heart to heart talk.

What would happen if ever your children find out you've been spying on them ? Do you sincerely think they're easily going to forgive you for this violation ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
Just a question.. How old are your kids?

Reaction score
try logkext.

it runs through terminal, and exports the file with text edit.

its a pain to read, but it does what its supposed to.

Reaction score
does anyone know if perfect keylogger for mac from the blazzingtools site captures Hotmail passwords?

Reaction score
Who cares??

I also agree. Nothing beats a good heart to heart talk.

What would happen if ever your children find out you've been spying on them ? Do you sincerely think they're easily going to forgive you for this violation ?
:Shouting:
I am a PARENT, not a friend!! I give my children space but when it comes to the computer, they have NO privacy. Yes, they will forgive me. WHY? Because children have unconditional love and I don't have to let them use the computer at all. Using a PC IS A PRIVILEGE, NOT A RIGHT. So parents, yes you want to know EXACTLY what your child is doing. The acceptance for being a parent is knowledge what your children do, right or wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
:Shouting:
I am a PARENT, not a friend!! I give my children space but when it comes to the computer, they have NO privacy. Yes, they will forgive me. WHY? Because children have unconditional love and I don't have to let them use the computer at all. Using a PC IS A PRIVILEGE, NOT A RIGHT. So parents, yes you want to know EXACTLY what your child is doing. The acceptance for being a parent is knowledge what your children do, right or wrong.

With all due respect for everyone, the best course of action is prevention, not monitoring and remediation ( when it goes wrong )

Just needed to get that of my chest.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
truly invisible keylogger

I need a keylogger (for my own personal machine) that is truly invisible.
I have never seen one. (ok, that made a lot of sense huh...)
Keyloggers, generally show up in the gui as running processes or have files associated with them in application support folders etc.
I need one that I can control from the terminal, like logkext but which will not be visible via activity monitor or if searched.
If I could modify the names of the files and processes associated with it, that would help but I dont know how to do that with a daemon.
Anyone here know how to do this?
or know of a proggy that will be invisible?
I can not imagine although I have not used it, that perfect keylogger is really invisible to someone who knows enough about their computer to look for it.
I wrote to them to ask before buying the client, but they did not respond.
Also, while gui support, screen shots, email etc would be nice, I dont really need it.
I just want to log my own keystrokes. I can view the log on my own without email and I dont need screen shots. Prefer a command line client.
any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.