Apple Logo Mod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2GHz 2GB RAM 120 GB HD 15" NVidia 8800MGT 128MB - iPhone 3G
Saw the earlier thread about people adding color to the glowing apple logo on the back of all the mac books and decided I had to do it...plus some.;D

I designed my blue flame type deal on photoshop.
My brother used the Texas Flag.
We just printed them on transparency paper.

Heres where I got the instructions:
http://www.icolours.ca/installation.html

Take a look.

Let me know what you think or if you have any questions.

img105.jpg

img104.jpg

img092.jpg

img098.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
Nice man :D Love that logo Ide love to see a picture of that glowing up in the dark!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
how hard was it to remove and re-insert the two screws on the lower left and lower right of the screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Do you have any higher resolution photos? That looks really cool, but they're kind of blurry.

I'd do that type of thing too, but I have a Black Speck case on mine, and it wouldn't be seen. :(

OP
KeatMP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how hard was it to remove and re-insert the two screws on the lower left and lower right of the screen

Taking them out takes patience. You need a very small flat head screw driver. You have to slide it into the grooves. It takes some finessing. Putting them back in was very easy. I just laid the monitor flat and pushed the screws in and let them fall in.

OP
KeatMP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have any higher resolution photos? That looks really cool, but they're kind of blurry.

I'd do that type of thing too, but I have a Black Speck case on mine, and it wouldn't be seen. :(

I dont have a digital camera with me. So I used a phone. Sorry. Thats as good as it gets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
what is the original apple logo made out of -

is it a pice of translucent plastic
and do you take it out when adding the new logo, or do you tape the transparency paper under the original apple logo

OP
KeatMP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what is the original apple logo made out of -

is it a pice of translucent plastic
and do you take it out when adding the new logo, or do you tape the transparency paper under the original apple logo

The actual logo is actually a piece of completely clear plastic. There is a piece of translucent plastic covering it from within. (I dont know why apple designed it like this because the back-light is a piece of translucent plastic that covers the screen.) I took off that piece of plastic covering the logo from within and just covered it with my new printed transparency design.

Reaction score
If you just take the original piece of plastic out will it just make the apple brighter?

OP
KeatMP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you just take the original piece of plastic out will it just make the apple brighter?

It might make it a little brighter. Probably not by very much. Its a little piece of translucent plastic. Just like the plastic that us used to back light the screen. I wouldn't take apart the whole computer to just take that plastic out though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2 Ghz 2GB Ram 120 GB HD
I dont think i have the patience and balls to do this to my mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I dont think i have the patience and balls to do this to my mac...

I'm sure that instead of taking apart your Mac you could just cut it to size and stick it with some adhesive spray or 2-sided clear tape.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
I'm sure that instead of taking apart your Mac you could just cut it to size and stick it with some adhesive spray or 2-sided clear tape.

But then you wont have the nice factory finished edges and it will probably look like crap.. :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2 Ghz 2GB Ram 120 GB HD
i guess i could try that....

OP
KeatMP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's definitely worth it if you have the patience and you feel comfortable taking apart your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2gb ram, 120gb
Anyone whose done this maybe should post a pic of the apple, i just wanna see how cool the apple looks with different designs :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
But then you wont have the nice factory finished edges and it will probably look like crap.. :eek:

If you have patience and attention to detail, I bet it would look fine.

Could you use an inkjet printer to print on transparency paper like that? I want to give it a try.

OP
KeatMP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could you use an inkjet printer to print on transparency paper like that? I want to give it a try.

Yes, you can use an inkjet printer. That's how I did it. Just make sure the transparency paper you buy says it is compatible with inkjet printers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.