• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Good model hard drive camcorder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
Can someone suggest a couple of good model hard drive camcorders ?My wife just had my son not too long ago and as i was digging through my boxes i came across the 8mm camcorder that i purchased when my daughter was born(And its now up for auction on ebay). I want to purchase one with a hard drive and im at a loss when it comes to this department, so any good suggestions would be more than greatly appreciative!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I use the JVC Everio, there are SD and HD models. They vary in price accordingly, but I like them. Getting them to work nicely with OS X may be a bit more of a trick, but it's really not that hard either.

A good number of folks still prefer the miniDV tape to HDD so you may get some mixed answers.

Brian

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks.i heard canon would be more osx compliant.What would needed to be done to get a jvc to work with osx

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
JVC Everio 30GB HDD.
EC.JVC.GZMG130US.JPG

I won a new one on ebay for 200.00 bucks and they are retailing @ Best Buy for 439.00 or better.This will keep me quit for a month before i will have enough knowledge and want to sell the one that is coming for a better one!lol!Thanks for the advice as well as help...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no problem, check out my tutorial on the site in my sig for osxtechtips. It will give you a solid breakdown of what to do.

If there is non mac software when you receive it, let me know, I have drivers that will help you.

Brian

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So what about the hard drive ?Are they pretty reliable?I will take advantage of the tutorials that you have provided.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've used the one I've got over and over and had no issues. Occasionally there will be a write error, but JVC has a great little feature that will quickly ask you to repair it, and done.

It happens mostly when I delete the files when it's connected to my mac rather than doing it with the built in camera functions.

It just rebuilds the storage sector on the drive. Takes only a second.

Brian

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright , point well taken.Battery is the next thing i wanted to ask you about.I have found a BN-VF823 2190 MaH battery for the unit (Although it has not gotten here yet).I was wondering would this battery be enough juice?The reason im asking is because i am taking a trip,well my daughter wanted to explore the theme parks in Orlando for her spring break and being there all day long,I want to make sure i have enough juice while im there.Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That one I can't really answer. I've been able to use the one that came with the camera. It lasts about 1 - 1 1/2 hours, but I have a car adapter that makes it easy to charge on the go for the most part.

Sorry about that.

Brian

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem.I went ahead and ordered a HiCap 2190MaH battery that is supposed to last 4.5 hours.So i think that should be plenty.I also took a look at your tutorials.good information.Are you going to be updating the site anytime soon?And lastly , can the everio be connected via firewire or no?
Thanks for the help as well m8!

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That one I can't really answer. I've been able to use the one that came with the camera. It lasts about 1 - 1 1/2 hours, but I have a car adapter that makes it easy to charge on the go for the most part.

Sorry about that.

Brian
Seems like you are the only one to answer my questions.I have several VHS movies that i would like to transfer to my mac.What sort of hardware would i need?
iMac Core2Duo 300 GB of ram if that helps you out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an EyeTV 250 Plus, it works great. You can compress the files after the record.

I've also used a simple piece of hardware by Neuros that compresses directly to MP4 format.

Just depends on what you want to do. The EyeTV 250 plus is around $200 US and the Neuros was around $150 US. Both work very well for this task.

Brian

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have ordered the eyeTV 250 hybrid and the 250 plus.I just got my camcorder today and it has the dv connection on the back for fire wire connection to the mac.I have plenty of those kind of cables from previous high end cameras i have owned.Works like a charm!I feel like i might only own this one until my family trip and will purchase a new one and ebay this one!Thanks for your help as well.
Picture below!

IMG_2158.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very nice, enjoy it!

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very nice, enjoy it!

I have another thread open and i was told that i can connect the VHS to this dock to transfer vhs tapes through the dock of the evio to the mac?Ever tried that?

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very nice, enjoy it!

Actually i am selling 1 of the 2 jvc everio's that i have.I just put in a order for a Canon HG10 AVCHD 40GB High Definition Camcorder.Until that one gets here ill use the one JVC and when my new one gets here then sell the 2nd JVC.I fell in love with the first one , so i figured what the ****?!Go ahead and spend the big bucks on a newer model!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have the Everio Dock. I just use the mpegstreamcipl / import directly from camera to HDD on mac method.

How much for the old JVC Everio, what model, what size HDD?

Brian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.