Jack problem?

G

Gamer

The headphone jack was fine until about 3 or 4 months ago when if you just slitly bend the heaphone jack side to side it will make this sound it's not to bad. I like to keep my iPod in my Pocket all day and I was wondering if it just got bent the medal in the plug hole?

If I send it back to Apple will they fix it or give me a refurbed one? I have all the warrenty stuff.

OP
M

m1k

Well, I can tell you the name really makes this thread unappealing ;)

Anyways, I've heard of numerous people that had the same problem. It's something to do with how the logic board is connected to the headphone jack or something like that. Apple should fix it for you (for a fee, maybe).

Good luck!

OP
G

Gamer

Okay Grade Sixers!!!

Are you guys all a bunch of geeks that have no other life than to think that the word "Jack" in "Headphone Jack" is funny well hady haha to you,so answer my question please or shut up!!

I'm not saying sorry for saying this it is true anyone who thinks this is really quite imachore.

Thanks,

Gamer

OP
V

vuschejan

Gamer said:
Are you guys all a bunch of geeks that have no other life than to think that the word "Jack" in "Headphone Jack" is funny well hady haha to you,so answer my question please or shut up!!

I'm not saying sorry for saying this it is true anyone who thinks this is really quite imachore.

Thanks,

Gamer

I definitley agree with that, Get your mind out of the gutter people. Ok, I just looked at mine and obviously the contact between headphone port and jack. Perhaps the contacts on the port got dirty and need to be cleaned. Im not sure but I think some water and a q-tip would do it. Rubbing alcohol might be a good idea but dont trust me. Just take a look and see if the contact is dirty.

Otherwise, its internal or your headphones.

OP
G

Gamer

vuschejan said:
I definitley agree with that, Get your mind out of the gutter people. Ok, I just looked at mine and obviously the contact between headphone port and jack. Perhaps the contacts on the port got dirty and need to be cleaned. Im not sure but I think some water and a q-tip would do it. Rubbing alcohol might be a good idea but dont trust me. Just take a look and see if the contact is dirty.

Otherwise, its internal or your headphones.
ya some dirt thanks for that

OP
V

vuschejan

Gamer said:
ya some dirt thanks for that

I remember what was suggested, an eraser, so you erase on the contacts, not sure how you get an eraser down there though :D

OP
M

m1k

Hey, if you're all humorless corporate executives I can't help you. I was just trying to add a bit of humor, jeez. If you don't like it, don't call me a geek 6th grader, OK? That was almost as immature as my comment was.

And my suggestion is actually right, may I point out. There have been numerous problems like yours, and it's been traced to the fact that the jack is connected to the logic board by only a few connectors, so it's not very secure and therefore it can be easily disconnected.

Send it to Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
vuschejan said:
... Im not sure but I think some water and a q-tip would do it. ...

Are you nuts?!? Water on a Q-tip to clean an electrical contact... ever heard the words "contact oxydation"?!?

Two reasons why you should NEVER use water (in any quantity) inside an electrical working object (includes any type of jacks):
1. Water (even one single tiny drop) leads electricity, and therefor will make shortcircuits.
2. The contacts (unless being gold plated or made of gold) will oxydate, and therefor not making contact anymore.

@gamer: If you have no sense of humor, you're definitely on the wrong forum...

BTW, m1k's suggestion of loose contacts is the most plausible one, because this has always been an issue on portable players, and has been reported of iPods too. It's due to the mechanical stress by plugging in and out the headphones.

OP
M

m1k

Thank you Avalon.

Also, the noise is actually because of a flaw in the iPod mini *gasp gasp gasp!!!!!*. Check out this iPodlounge article:http://ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=160079

About halfway down is this text:

This is why iPOD mini makes static cracking noises

My iPOD mini after two weeks of gentle use started to make horrible static noises; sometimes sound will disappear completely. Then the sound will return to normal, but any pressure as small as thumb pressure anywhere on iPod mini will make sounds to come back. Resetting iPod did not help.
Guided by the detailed ?iPod mini Autopsy? posted here on iPodLounge, I disassembled by iPod rather easily. To check the reason of these noises, I started to play the iPod and disconnected the wheel, then the hard drive, but iPod was still playing (out of 25 min flash memory) and still making noises.
Eventually, I narrowed the problem to a small little part that contains headphone and remote jack and metallic part in the shape of the white plastic top.

This small part attaches to main iPod board ONLY via small black connector that sits on on the main board. What an OVERSIGHT on Apple?s ENGINEER"S part!
Theeir mistake is obvious. The small part with the headphone jack attaches via screews to the aluminium case, but does NOT screw to the MAIN board. Because of this any pressure on iPod case, dock connector, or simply plugging in and out headphones, creates TENSION between the small part and the MAIN board.
Since only the black connector sits between these two parts, it quickly wears out.
What is even worse is that the black connector is attached to the main board via ten very fragile copper pins that stick out of the main board (sorry for not using proper electronics terminology). With regular use, contacts get loose and slightest pressure on iPod creates nasty squeaky static type noises killing all the joy iPod brings.

I am sure this problem will surge in time. Future iPOD minis need to have the part with headphone jack screwed to the main board (not just to the case like it is on current MINIs) OR to use FLEXIBLE cable. To rely on ten tiny fragile pins is just plain irresponsible.

If you have the same problem, I do NOT advise you to take apart iPOD. The copper needles that stick out of the main board are very very brittle and once broken will require replacing the entire board.

Here are some picks about the connection taken from my new mini. Picture links are inside a parody love story :):

http://www.math.unl.edu/~iloladze/iPod.htm

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
vuschejan said:
Is this a rhetorical question?

Take it the way you want, I don't care...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.