Few Problems, All Networking (Internet)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16gz, 2gb RAM || 20" iMac, 2.4gz, 2gb RAM
Hey Guys,
so ive got a few problems with my Macbook Pro and my iMac..

1, On my home network, it connects as soon as I open the laptop / turn the computer on, however Safari is (critically, and im talking minutes here) slow.. It can take up to a minute just to load the Google homepage!
When I use Firefox, it is still noticably slow.. But only maybe 2 - 10 seconds more than usual for a page..
But as I say, connects to both iMac and MBP from the off..

2, On my girlfriends network I open the MBP, and get the usual, which network do you want to join dialogue box.. I choose her network SSID, and type the password (because it doesnt remember it) and it then tells me that the security type isnt compatible with the system settings..
So I go into the system settings, click network, click 'go' when 'Airport' is selected and choose 'Assist me' then run the diagnostics.. It picks up the signal, I choose the network (again) from the list and it gives me a password box, only this time I can change the password type from 'WEP Password' to 'WEP Password/x128' or something, I change it, type the password and it lets me in..

Id rather get both of these problems sorted as I can live with them, but they are annoyances. Sorry if ive confused anyone or not explained myself properly..

Thanks for any help !

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you putting a checkmark by "Remember This Network" when you are at that screen where you set it to WEP 128K and put in the password? If so, it should save it in the keychain and remember your settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
It sounds like you are connecting wireless in both locations. The machine is probably looking for the wrong network connection first hence the delay. If you look you will probably see two connection points, one of which is only available at each location.

Perhaps a simple solution is to have two users that each only have one wireless network and you should be good to go. Just switch the user to match the location.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.