Question before I purchase my MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I am going to be working on a project for my daughter's school. I will be working with a database that was created using MS Access. It was then copied to a cd to be given to me so I can update this database from home. My question is that will I be able to open and work this file using the MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display
Not sure this is going to be easy to achieve.
Neither of the two MAC versions of MS Office, 2004 and 2008, support MS Access. I believe the only way to do this is to run XP or Vista under Parallels or VMware and install MS Access either as a standalone or as part of Office 2007.

Do any of the open source office type products support Access such as NeoOfice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
For Mac there is Filemaker as your database management software. You will need to get that. Also, you will need to get a converter (I think it's free) to convert that Access Database into a Filemaker one.

Otherwise the other best solution is running it in a VM as Access doesn't really require a lot of resources...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.