Hidden files

Reaction score
I'm in somewhat of a pickle here. A couple of months ago I downloaded a program to hide some files I did not want seen.

Now I want to unhide them, but for some reason can't find the program on my machine, and have no idea what it was called.

Am I completely screwed? or is there a way to unhide these files?

Thank you very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
To show the Hidden files using the terminal type (better yet.. copy/paste) the following:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool YES;killall Finder

Then to HIDE the "Hidden Files" Type (again, might want to just copy/paste) the following in the Terminal:

defaults delete com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles;killall Finder

You can also use the Onyx Parameters to "Show Hidden Files"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
No problem... glad you got it straightened out.

Hidden files begin with a period "."
To make the files no longer hidden simply remove the "."

Be careful with what you change though, as some things may be hard coded to a specific path that contains the "."

If they are just your own files/folders... no harm in adding and removing the "." though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Actually there is an app called Xray that is useful for making files visible or invisible. Its a nice graphical way to do this for the people who are uncomfortable with playing inside of terminal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.