iPod Move

Reaction score
I wanted to copy my iTunes to an external hard drive so I created the directory on my external hard drive where I wanted it to go and then set it up in preferences, but when I open my iTunes my music doesn't show. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I wanted to copy my iTunes to an external hard drive so I created the directory on my external hard drive where I wanted it to go and then set it up in preferences, but when I open my iTunes my music doesn't show. Any ideas? Thanks.

Did you tick the "consolidate my library" box?

OP
V
Reaction score
Yes I did. I failed to mention in my original post that I actually moved the entire iTunes directory over to my external drive.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

Changing the iTunes folder only has the effect of pointing to it for future imports. You need to reimport from your new location. It's easy, but if you have a billion songs, it will take a while. Here's an old post with a step by step.

...1) COPY the whole iTunes Music file structure from your old location to your new location. [have you COPIED?]
2) DO STEP ONE BEFORE PROCEEDING--Then within iTunes, select all the music in your Library and delete it (don't worry). iTunes will ask you if you're sure (you are), then will ask if you want to Trash files too (Keep Files, for now).
3) In iTunes Advanced Preferences tab, change the iTunes Music location to the new folder on your external drive. [you've done this]
4) Go to your new external folder with all your music in it, select all the files and drag it in to the iTunes app (or press Command + O in iTunes). Double-check [from within iTunes] that your files work there.
5)Finally, manually delete the files in your old iTunes folder. Don't forget to empty the trash when you're done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.