PDF Compatibility

Reaction score
PCs can't open the PDF files that I create with my Mac using the print PDF tool. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
What error are you getting on the Windows computers when you try to open the PDF?

OP
B
Reaction score
there's no error message. i'm using "windows picture and fax viewer" and the file simply does not open. can't open the file with firefox or internet explorer or any image editor, including windows paint and photoshop elements. windows paint prompts error message saying it can't recognize the file...

by the way, PC show the file as JPG image, not PDF, even though Mac does the conversion into PDF...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Have you unchecked "hide file extension" when you save the file?

Try to open the PDF file in a dedicated PDF viewer - Foxit, adobe reader or something similar...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
It sounds as if you're doing something wrong, it may be saving the PDF with a JPG extension, or vice versa. Presumably you're choosing File->Print, then clicking the PDF button and choosing Save as PDF... from the pop-up menu...?

Also, I'm pretty sure Windows Picture and Fax Viewer won't display PDFs (in fact, I'm totally sure of it, certainly under XP).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Try downloading Adobe reader to your PC and all your problems will be solved.

Not necessarily...

by the way, PC show the file as JPG image, not PDF, even though Mac does the conversion into PDF...

This implies the file has the wrong extension and may not be a PDF.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If he's trying to open a PDF in programs that don't know what to do with them, then yes, that is exactly why it isn't working for him.

Get yourself Adobe Acrobat Reader and then open the files using that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
Picture and Fax viewer will open .gifs, .jpegs, .tiffs, etc, but will not open a .pdf. In short, it isn't Preview.

Adobe Acrobat Reader is what you need. Or one of it's competitors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whoever neg repped me clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. Just look at this post from the OP:

there's no error message. i'm using "windows picture and fax viewer" and the file simply does not open. can't open the file with firefox or internet explorer or any image editor, including windows paint and photoshop elements. windows paint prompts error message saying it can't recognize the file...

Windows Picture and Fax viewer does NOT open PDF files. Don't confuse it for OS X's Preview.app, which supports many more file formats. He then tried it in web browsers and image editors, again, programs that cannot open PDF files. And it's not really showing up as a JPEG file, it's giving the OP a picture icon, denoting that he set the default program as Windows Picture and Fax viewer, not that the PDF magically turned into a picture.

Downloading Adobe Reader or another program that supports PDF files will most definitely solve this guy's problem.

Just because you hear hooves don't assume it's a zebra. My assumptions were not wrong.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.