am i going to have to upgrade anytime soon?

Reaction score
i jsut bought a macbook today for college and iwant to know will i need to upgrade it during my time in school..im a senior in hs right now so will it last me 4-5 years?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
what are you going to do with your MB?

It is for sure that computers will be a lot more powerful in 4-5 years, but depending your what you intend on doing, the MB could still be good!

OP
I
Reaction score
i know theyre gonna be better by then..**** they'll be better by the time i actually go off to college in september...buy my mom just paid about 1700 for it and i want to get all i can out of it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
Like A4 said, it depends on what you are going to do with it. If you like to edit video, home editing of HD might be more popular in 4 or 5 years. From what I understand your average MB or MBP is not going to handle that well.

If you are the kind that just uses a computer for usual school stuff/internet/chat/etc... You could be fine for quite a long time.
Good Luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
For the average use of using Office programs, email, chat, and browsing the net, the Macbook will easily last you several years. If you only have 1GB of RAM right now, you might be looking at an upgrade later on, especially with future OS X revisions, such as 10.6, and possibly 10.7 as Apple has an update schedule of 18 to 24 months.

You might also end up getting an external hard drive as you begin to accumulate stuff like documents, videos, and music.

OP
I
Reaction score
i actually have 2 gigs of ram, 2.2 GHz, and 120 gb hdd..should that be good?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That should do just fine. But like I said, you will eventually be getting yourself an external hard drive, especially once you discover the ridiculously fast Internet connection at school ;P

I have two external drives (250GB and 500GB) hooked up to my Macbook, and about 1.3TB of space on my desktop, and I'm still running short. I'm going to be ordering one or two 750GB drives for my desktop soon, and I'm glad I still don't live on campus, as those would get filled very quickly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Indeed, you should be fine with 2GB. Like Kash said though, college internet connections are a thing of beauty. We get close to 1MB a second over wireless here at Ball State. I've filled a couple of externals in my 3 years here. The only thing I can forsee you needing is a good pair of speakers. Philips makes a nice desktop pair with bass built in. You can pick them up at Walmart for about $70. I've had them for about 2 years hooked up to my G3 imac and I love them. Good luck!

Peace,
Trent out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
If you like to edit video, home editing of HD might be more popular in 4 or 5 years. From what I understand your average MB or MBP is not going to handle that well.

I haven't found that to be quite true myself. I know I need to get more memory for it to speed up, (I can't edit 720p comfortably with anything but Final Cut open), but my MacBook has been handling HD pretty darn good. Not as good as the G5 iMacs in the computer lab do, sadly. And if I have to edit 1080i or 1080p, I'm gonna feel the hurt without 3GB of RAM.

However, I'm helping a friend of mine edit a project he shot completely in 720p Widescreen on my MacBook, and it's not very bad at all. I'm actually surprised how well it runs. My only complaint is that encoding HD is a little on the "not blazingly fast" side. The actual editing isn't bad at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.