Pro Speakers for new Imac G5

C

cdonlan

Im about to buy a new Imac this week. I wanted to know if the little apple pro speakers will work with the new Imac. I understand they come in both a speaker jack and USB.

Thanks
Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
The Apple Pro Speaker delivered with the Apple Cube had an USB, with an external amplifier. But as far as I know, you couldn't buy it seperately.

Those that came with the flatpanel iMac G4 are also sold seperately, but they have a special mini-jack. They are passive, means without amplifier. The only Macs that have the built-in amplifier (and therefor have that special mini-jack connector) are the iMac G4 and the PowerMac G4 (from the Digital Audio models to the MDDs).

The iMac G5 doesn't have that connector (and no integrated amplifier), so the Pro speaker won't work with it.

OP
C

Clamshell62489

well they do have built in speakers and from what i heard, they are pretty good.

OP
M

Mainyehc

adiliegro said:
they are DAMNED good, actually.

Yes, indeed they are... But I've bought a 20'' iMac G5 yesterday, and still haven't sold my 17'' iMac G4 w/ Pro Speakers, and I have both computers side by side (and what a lovely sight it is :D). And when I compared the two, the Pro Speakers sound sooooo much better, really! But there's an accessory, a mini-jact to FireWire adapter, with which you can connect those iMac G4 Pro Speakers to any Mac (or PC, for that matter). I'll post the link here when I find it again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.