B&W G3 HD has shrunk

Reaction score
Hi folks

I am trying to figure out why my B&W g3 has done something weird.

I took a 60gb hard drive which had been formatted for osx on a MDD dual G4, put it in the G3 to format for OS9. I ran HD setup control panel and it did the format, except now it is only 31GB and nothing I do will get it to recognise it as the 60Gb.

Can someone tell me if it can be repaired, how, and what caused it?

Thanks in advance

sepugaza

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You may have partitioned the drive if it was not formatted on the G4 with OS 9 drivers selected. What does Disk Utility say when you get it running?

OP
S
Reaction score
shrunken HD

Disk Utility only recognises 31Gb also. I have tried reformatting, zero-ing all data and still the same.

It was actually formatted on the G3 using the Drive Setup CP. If I open Drive Setup in classic mode on the G4 it doesn'e see the 60gb or 80gb ie anything.

Reaction score
Just as a thought, have you tried formatting it as Fat 32. I know this is a PC format but it recognizes larger disks and will run on Mac as well as PC. NB It may not run quite as quick this way but you should see the whole drive. From here you should be able to partition it and have two smaller drives that together encompass the whole disk as Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Another far off idea - how about taking a magnet to the drive to scramble it. Risky but it sounds like it is toast anyways.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.