Leopard or iLife '08 upgrade regrets??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
Hello Everyone,

Income tax refunds are about to arrive, I'll have a little extra cash and I've been seriously contemplating upgrading to to Leopard and i-Life '08 since they've both come out. Now with a little extra cash, I can go ahead or not go ahead and make a decision. The only thing that is holding me back with jumping in with the upgrade is all the horror stories for some who have said they've had nothing but problems since they've upgraded with both products. You know the stuff like systems running sluggish, issues with the new i-Movie, and other issues with Leopard in general. My question are; are there any regrets with either of the upgrades? Does anyone wishes that they have just stuck with Tiger until all the bugs with Leopard have been worked out? Once request. Please don't paste a bunch of links telling me that this topic has already been discussed various times. ;D I think fresh opinions my be in line due to all the recent software updates with Leopard. Any input will be much appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
No regrets here, at least for me. However, I hedged my bet and combined the Leopard upgrade with a hard drive upgrade. This way if there were any regrets or "show stoppers" I could swap back in my Tiger disk and be back where I was. If you're gonna get a tax refund, I'd recommend combining the two like I did because:

a) everyone needs more disk space.

b) clean install

c) can use old drive in external enclosure

d) fairly easy to copy all your stuff from old drive to new one with said external enclosure.

Now, I have a Macbook and thus changing out the HD is pretty trivial. I'm not sure how trivial that is with an iMac, but if it is then I'd go that route.

My wife, however, I've got staying with Tiger for a number of reasons, even though I bought a family pack. First, she doesn't really need a bigger HD. Second, she really doesn't know any better as far as Tiger, Leopard, or any other of the kitties. She just wants to use her computer for email, web surfing, and Photoshop. Which brings me to the next aspect, which is I've heard of issues with PS CS2, which is what she has. I have CS3 so I was pretty sure there wouldn't be any issues, but she's still on CS2 and she's gonna stay with that. So for her, there aren't really any compelling reasons for her to upgrade (which translates to "Give me your computer for a couple of hours, and when I give it to you back you'll have 10.5.2" at which time she'll go "why, my computer is working just fine as it is." I'm perfectly cool with keeping her at where she is now for as long as necessary. That family pack will still install in a year or so.)

For me? I saw all those neat-o things and went "gimme." Stuff like Spaces, the new Dock, Time Machine, and some other goodies. I can appreciate that stuff and since I'm technical I can cope with issues that might come up as a result. So far everything has been just peachy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Hello Everyone,

Income tax refunds are about to arrive, I'll have a little extra cash and I've been seriously contemplating upgrading to to Leopard and i-Life '08 since they've both come out. Now with a little extra cash, I can go ahead or not go ahead and make a decision. The only thing that is holding me back with jumping in with the upgrade is all the horror stories for some who have said they've had nothing but problems since they've upgraded with both products. You know the stuff like systems running sluggish, issues with the new i-Movie, and other issues with Leopard in general. My question are; are there any regrets with either of the upgrades? Does anyone wishes that they have just stuck with Tiger until all the bugs with Leopard have been worked out? Once request. Please don't paste a bunch of links telling me that this topic has already been discussed various times. ;D I think fresh opinions my be in line due to all the recent software updates with Leopard. Any input will be much appreciated
I'm no expert. I don't even have my Mac yet. But I have heard Leo LaPorte state on numerous occasions that the best way to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard is to do a "clean install". Hope this helps!

OP
wcarr3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
Hello Everyone,

This past Friday, I decided to go ahead and make the plunge. Got both Leopard and i-Life. Wanted to do a final backup via SuperDuper! and low and behold my external hard drive (Western Digital 500 GB with US B and firewire 400 and 800 by the way) was dead!!! I not comfortable with doing a Leopard upgrade without an available backup, so right now I'm stuck with waiting until my new replacement external drive arrives or maybe I'll go ahead and buy me another external drive giving me two external drives available for backup / extra storage. I can get one for a decent price too while it's on sale. Oh, what should I do??? ;D

Reaction score
I did the same thing, I swapped out my HD for a much bigger one then installed 10.5 on the new drive, keeping my old one as a back-up.

OP
wcarr3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This past Friday, I decided to go ahead and make the plunge. Got both Leopard and i-Life. Wanted to do a final backup via SuperDuper! and low and behold my external hard drive (Western Digital 500 GB with US B and firewire 400 and 800 by the way) was dead!!! I not comfortable with doing a Leopard upgrade without an available backup, so right now I'm stuck with waiting until my new replacement external drive arrives or maybe I'll go ahead and buy me another external drive giving me two external drives available for backup / extra storage. I can get one for a decent price too while it's on sale. Oh, what should I do??? ;D

From the "just in case anyone cares department", I've installed both Leopard and i-Life '08 and all is well. I decided to wait on my replacement hard drive from Western Digital. Surprisingly, it didn't take very long for them to send the replacement drive. They send it UPS Second Day Air. I first installed Leopard and played around with it for a day before I installed i-Life. After installing both, I then upgraded (whatever needed to be upgraded) all the other applications. I used the Archive and Install method with Leopard. All I can say now is that I am happy as can be with my upgrades and no REGRETS yet (knocking on wood). ;D Time Machine seems cool, but I'm going to stick with SuperDuper! for now at least until I can get a hold of a nice reasonable priced second external drive. Again, happy with Leopard, it ROCKS!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I bought Leopard not long after release, I also bought iLife at the same time. I thought Tiger was pretty good and I guess there was not a lot that I felt it [tiger] lacked.

I wanted Leopard for Time Machine which I've loved since the previews at the WWDC in 2006. Since upgrading to Leopard I've liked a lot more than just Time Machine - Quick View for example is very cool.

iLife 08 was recommended to me after I pointed out to a mac owning colleague a couple of short-comings in iPhoto '06 - He pretty much recommended iLife '08 for iPhoto alone.

I like iLife '08 but excluding a little tinkering; I only really use iPhoto to manage a couple of thousand pictures - I really do like this app and genuinely think the new version is a great improvement on what wasn't too bad in the first place.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.