DVD drive makes clicking sound sometimes...sounds like grinding.

Reaction score
Now, let me say, this only happens with some CDs/DVDs...not all, in fact only a couple. I stick a DVD in and then when it first starts spinning it sounds like its grinding and makes a clicking sound. When it starts spinning fast, it stops and sounds fine. Does anyone know what this could be from? My Mac is only a couple weeks old...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G4 1.25Ghz Powerbook G4 1.67
Mine does it as well, doesn't scratch the discs though.
Not happy about it, sounds cheap and nasty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well I'm hoping mine will get worse so I can take it back.
I think they'd think I was a fussy customer though if I went back at the minute.
My friends one doesn't do it though, his is older and came with 10.4 not leapord.
His is built far better than mine and overall is less rattly and more quiet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I have a Macbook that didn't sound particularly unusual when a CD/DVD was in the drive, but it did 'groove up' discs if I picked it up and walked around with a disc in the drive.

Warrantee fixed that. So if it's not causing physical damage I wouldn't worry about it. Drives make all kinds of weird noises that are probably normal.

Reaction score
Sounds like Apple is going back to their Titanium PowerBook quality. First week I had mine the drive started grinding louder than the transmission on a Yugo.

OP
W
Reaction score
Yeah, I had a regular Macbook a little while ago and I picked it up with a CD in the drive...that made a mark. But this one just sits on the desk and sometimes goes in my backpack, but always off. Weird machines...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I took mine back today and the guy in the shop said it was broken and will be replaced.

It ended up with quite a lot of faults for a 2 week old machine.
1, the no 1 key fell off (they're replacing it)
2, the power supply overheats enough to burn me when I sat on it last night (replacing this as well)
3, the cooling fan has a duff bearing (very noisy, they are investigating this as I didn't have time to wait for it to kick in while I was there)
4, this problem with the super drive (replacing this as well)

It's really a shame, the quality of my g4 is what tempted me to a macbook. If os x weren't so good I think I'd revert to a pc laptop now. My macbook is the most expensive single thing I have ever bought, hence I am quite dissapointed about the whole thing. My friends have had none of these problems though so I guess I was just unlucky and it's not a common thing.
At least they are fixing it though, but it leaves me laptopless for at least a week which is not a good thing.
Someone else was in the shop with the same drive problem so I reckon apple have made/bought a bad batch of superdrives.

Where are you wgilles?
I'd be amazed if you were the other guy in the Cardiff store today with the same problem as me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.