nuimpact vs kingston vs Mac memory

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry for my english,

I build a new MAC PRO 8 core on apple.com/canada. But when I want to upgrade from 2 gigs to 4 gigs its cost 500$ more. Serioustly i don't understand why it cost 500$ for 2 gigs. On pc it is maximum 50$. So many local resseller offer Nuimpact or Kingston memory instead (cheapper). Do you know if nuimpact's memory is good? And do you think its normal to pay 500$ for 2 extra gigs?

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 2GB
When you upgrade your ram, don't get it from apple. Buy either Corsair or Kingston as I have had both and have had 0 problems. Look for it at www.newegg.com as they have great prices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I can vouch for Kingston Ram. I have 2 GB of it in my mac now. And it is running without a hitch. My advice for you is to get the best brands 3rd party. They'll still be much cheaper then on apple.com. And you'll have piece of mind with them.

And I agree Corsair or Kingston and maybe OWC are good brands for ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Apple charges a ton for RAM because they can. It's actually generic 3rd party RAM. I would recommend OWC because of the lifetime warranty.
Whatever you decide to get, make sure it has the oversized heat spreader.

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks but...

Thank you all, but another question. How can i know which ram's Model I need? Does I have to go on Kingston or Corsair web site to find the perfect fit or maybe Applere command some model of that 2 brands. Does Kingston or corsair have specific model for Mac?

Do I must go with the 8800gt? (photoshop and illustrator) and what kind of screen do you recommand. Apple or Samsung or Viewsonic, etc.

thanks again.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The 8800gt is not a necessity. My imac can do all kinds of photo editing with photoshop and others just fine. But you'd have to think of the future. Could you see yourself in a few years time wanting a lot of graphics power for video editing or gaming or something similar? If so them get the 8800gt.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.