• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

McCain vid topic closed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
I apologize if anybody took this personally; it’s really just meant as a joke. It’s funnier if you’ve seen the Obama version.

I don't know that it was neccessary to lock/close the topic, but that's not my call to make.

Have a great day everyone. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Some might see the humor, some might not. While it was funny, it came across as an anti-McCain attack. Anti-candidate "X" attacks, even funny ones, are something you want to avoid no matter which side you are on. It is the kind of thing that, in a place like this, can start problems. Unfortunately it is easy for things to descend to chaos on the internet with so many differing opinions. This place has been good about maintaining order and keeping the discussions friendly and I for one would like to see that continue through November. The debates will only get more heated and fanning the flames with stuff like this just makes it harder.

M-F strives to be a friendly place and to make everyone welcome. Constructive, respectful exchanges make everyone feel welcome, posts like that simply anger people and don't lend to a friendly atmosphere.

My advice? If you want to start a political thread, think hard about what you are posting and try to make it constructive. Otherwise it is likely to go awry.

OP
Brandon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A forum should also be an open exchange of ideas and opinions, and this “picture,” as it were, is worth a thousands words. I still think you’re reacting a little too defensively to this, and I’m not sure why, but again, I sincerely apologize if you or anyone else takes that comedic video personally. Find me a parody video of Obama sound bites, and I’ll be more than willing to watch and enjoy it with an open mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A forum should also be an open exchange of ideas and opinions, and this “picture,” as it were, is worth a thousands words. I still think you’re reacting a little too defensively to this, and I’m not sure why, but again, I sincerely apologize if you or anyone else takes that comedic video personally. Find me a parody video of Obama sound bites, and I’ll be more than willing to watch and enjoy it with an open mind.

Maybe it's because I've seen enough threads of that nature go south to know where it's likely to head. The exchange of ideas should, ideally, always be positive, especially on a forum like this one. We've discussed lots of "hot button" topics here in the past and most of them end badly in the long run. Sometimes it's better to just not discuss certain things in certain places. There are plenty of political forums to choose from.

OP
Brandon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
A forum should also be an open exchange of ideas and opinions
Those ideas should also try to stay on topic with the forum's theme. Granted, you posted it in the "Anything Goes" forum which is technically fine.
Still, as baggss pointed out there are plenty of better suited forums for political topics. An Apple/Macintosh computer-based one is not really the best fit for things like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
best to try and avoid talking religion and politics

just gets everybody riled up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
But that's what makes them so much fun ;P

OP
Brandon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still, as baggss pointed out there are plenty of better suited forums for political topics. An Apple/Macintosh computer-based one is not really the best fit for things like that.

Kind of funny you say that, considering how many political and other non-apple based topics there are in the Anything Goes section. :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, aside from this one and the closed one, there is one current political topic open. So far it's been a constructive and enjoyable discussion. How long that will last is anyones guess. If you read through it, there has been almost no dissing of political candidates on either side and a constructive exchange of points of view.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The thread was closed because people weren't behaving....period. Any topic is permissible provided that the thread remains respectful to all people's opinions.

Brandon, to be honest, that thread was going to certainly be inflammatory to those who thing differently than you. It probably would have been best not to post it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.