Cross fire on Mac Pro

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post:eek: I have on order a Mac pro 8 core with all the goodies, stock video card is the 8800GTX. I would like to know if any of you have ever ran SLI or Crossfire ? I have heard several opinions on SLI and or Crossfire and know they are not supported in OSX, but has anyone successfully ran either in Bootcamp Windows? I would assume Crossfire is easier than SLI as SLI is chipset based but I heard a hacked driver exists. If you have set up either I would love to hear from you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
SLI and Crossfire need to be enabled with drivers, but since neither company offers such drivers for the Mac, you can't enable either SLI or Crossfire in OS X. Though I don't see the point in doing so seeing as how the only benefit to either technology is games and OS X isn't exactly a gaming platform.

However, you CAN use SLI or Crossfire when running Windows via Boot Camp.

OP
M
Reaction score
SLI and Crossfire need to be enabled with drivers, but since neither company offers such drivers for the Mac, you can't enable either SLI or Crossfire in OS X. Though I don't see the point in doing so seeing as how the only benefit to either technology is games and OS X isn't exactly a gaming platform.

However, you CAN use SLI or Crossfire when running Windows via Boot Camp.

Hi Kash, as I noted in my first post I am aware that OSX does not support SLI or Crossfire. But what I dont know if it does in bootcamp, I will be using two ATI HD 3870 x2 gpu(total 2 gpus in two cards = 4 gpu total) and or dual Nvidia 8800GTX.

also what do you mean "Dont abuse the rep system ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I actually just read the title and the first couple of words in your post ;P

I've read posts where people have run video cards unsupported by OS X successfully in Windows via Boot Camp. In those same posts I have seen people successfully enabled Crossfire, and I think SLI.

And that rep thing is part of my signature.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry, I actually just read the title and the first couple of words in your post ;P

I've read posts where people have run video cards unsupported by OS X successfully in Windows via Boot Camp. In those same posts I have seen people successfully enabled Crossfire, and I think SLI.

And that rep thing is part of my signature.

I would love to talk with someone who set one up and how they did it

Signature ? Sorry I have never posted anything before

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Signatures are text or images that are automatically placed at the bottom of every post. They're separated from the main post with a line. You can edit your signature in your profile settings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.