New mac user - Printing in B&W w/ an HP?

Reaction score
First I just wanted to say hi to everyone, this is my first post on these forums.

I just recently switched to mac (using a macbook pro and leopard :D) and im having a real problem figuring out how to print in black and white with my HP color laserjet printer (1500L). With my Epson, when I go to print I can select "print settings" from a dropdown menu and there is an option there for printing in black only. With my HP, however, there is no such option and im pulling my hair out trying to figure it out how to do it. Could anyone please help me with this? Thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hopefully you will have a similar type menu as mine.
These were my selections when printing from Pages.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Picture 1.jpg

Picture 2.jpg

Picture 3.jpg

Picture 4.jpg

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks for the replies (especially thanks to bob for that guide). unfortunately, my menu's look different and no where in any of the options (regardless of which program) do I see anything for B&W or Grayscale. Here are some pictures of the options I get in word and preview.

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Make sure you select and browse thru all the different options there.
Tried it on another Mac, with an older version of the HP software than on mine. It was still there under Paper Handling / Quality.

I would think that's got to be buried somewhere in there. Took me awhile to find it on mine that deep in the menus and 'Paper Handling' was the last place I looked.

Having said that however, HP no longer supports, nor have they updated the drivers for that printer since '03, for any OS. Have only had a Mac for a little over a year now, but I don't think HP has always been that great a supporter of the Mac OS. So, I guess it could be missing, but would be surprised if that's not hidden there somewhere.

Anyone with an older HP out there know which menu it's in?????

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.