Iomega minimax with AirPort Extreme?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 10.6
My Airport Extreme has one USB port which I use to support a USB Hub with printer and external HDD connected. The Iomega Minimax HDD has a built in Hub with firewire and USB connections. The Iomega Minimax HDD w/hub is intended to be used as a hub when connected directly to a computer ( ie Macmini). My question is: has anyone used an Iomega Minimax HDD w/hub - connected behind an Airport Extreme - with sucessful use of the hub feature?

Reaction score
I have a 250gb minimax hdd that i have connected to my airport extreme base station. I have my printer plugged into the hard drives built in hub and it works no problem. I have also had, at one stage, another powered hard drive plugged into the minimax's hub and it also worked without problems - airport would share both drives. Just recently I bought a portable Iomega 250gb hard drive that is not powered, ie only powered by usb cable to computer, and at this stage I have not been able to get my airport to recognise it. It does power up and switch on though.
All the connections above are USB and not Firewire.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 10.6
jooty,
Thanks for the reply. I bought the Minimax 500mb this morning. So far the new drive and the hub connected HP printer are online and full function through the AE. I have not yet tried my LaCie portable drive, nor have I tried to use the three Firewire hub ports. Tonight after work I'll get back to it. I will try the LaCie both Firewire and USB just to see what works best. :) ajm

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 10.6
Final report on the MiniMax and my Macbook. Connectivity through Airport Extreme only lasted a short time. Drive would get a 'service interruption' and disconnect. No recovery possible with our a complete power off cycle and turn Airport off and then on. The short story is that the MiniMax went back to Best buy and an old Buffalo HDD I had proved more robust. I am still plaqued by the 'service interuption' issue with the Buffalo, but not as often. Generally, only the print server feature of the Air Port Extreme has been reliable. Apple Care has exchanged the AE once with no improvement and I would not make that purchase again. Not grousing but I have almost 400 phone minutes and 15 man hours tied up on AE connectivity issues and wireless still not reliable. ajm

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.