Thinking of upgrading to Leopard

Reaction score
I'm probably one of the few who has not upgraded to Leopard. I'm still operating on Tiger, but I do want to upgrade. From what I read though there has been a lot of bugs with Leopard. Has these issues been corrected? Is it a good time to but Leopard now or should I wait a little longer?

M

MacHeadCase

I know I'm still holding out and am using 10.4.11. It does seem however, from what I read in M-F, that a lot of the Leopard bugs have been corrected but there a few left though.

I am going to wait for:

- the next update and
- once I am certain that the apps I use for school have no compatibility issues with Leopard.

But I would guess that a lot of members would tell you it's ok to upgrade.

Reaction score
yeh in a way i envy you man - i miss the Tiger's boot up speed, it quicker to opening up apps and the simplicity of an OS that just worked.. however, Leopard has some features that will not let me go back to Tiger, as much as I might like to such as Time Machine, share screen through iChat (so i can fix friends/relatives Mac's remotely) mail's notes and to-do's plus front row v 2 which is far sexier than the old front row. Yesterday's release of 10.5.2 for leopard appears to have fixed the majority of people's problems with iCal, safari, airport etc.. but only time will tell. As long as your specs are decent enough, although you'll miss Tiger, Leopard is the way to go...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I nearly ordered it, but I held off. I'm not sure yet what there is I actually need - Time Machine won't work with my NAS, and there isn't much else that's particularly important to me. I've bought a few apps instead which are directly useful now, so Leopard is basically a luxury at this point.

I'll certainly wait for the .3 update at least before I get it. Plus I have a load of stuff on here so I need to plan the upgrade carefully. Plus Leopards new scheduler is borked and clashes with Cinema 4D, running it in realtime during rendering and freezing everything else, so I'd like to know if Apple have fixed it before I upgrade.

Reaction score
I am still using Tiger also. I plan on waiting about 2 weeks past MHC's upgrade (assuming no problems, of course). ;D

Reaction score
I'm quite happy with Leopard, it's been giving me issues with too many USB devices connected though - some messed up overload issue results in kernel panics.

Happens only on my iMac, need to get back to Uni to see whether 10.5.2 fixed it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I'm completely happy with Leopard.

Now that 10.5.2 is out, the Stacks are really awesome. Before, I thought they were just niffty little toys, but now they're quite practical.

Front Row is awesome...er.

Bunch of little updates with programs make me happy.

I'd recommend it 100%. Zero problems here.

Reaction score
I am using 10.4.11 it is my first computer and I haven't even had it for 1 year. I wanted to ask if I have to pay for every single upgrade, or if I can get some sort of discount?

It may sound foolish, but this is all new to me! I think it would suck if I have to shell out cash every time Apple improves something that I already paid a lot of money on!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I am using 10.4.11 it is my first computer and I haven't even had it for 1 year. I wanted to ask if I have to pay for every single upgrade, or if I can get some sort of discount?

It may sound foolish, but this is all new to me! I think it would suck if I have to shell out cash every time Apple improves something that I already paid a lot of money on!

The 10.5.x update is free but whenever the 10.x number increases it's an upgrade you have to buy, i.e. 10.5.0 is a paid upgrade, 10.5.1, .2 are free.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I'm quite happy with Leopard, it's been giving me issues with too many USB devices connected though - some messed up overload issue results in kernel panics.

Happens only on my iMac, need to get back to Uni to see whether 10.5.2 fixed it.

Keep us posted on that one. I have an iMac G5 iSight 2.1Ghz and have not had that issue with 2 USB hubs, one 4 port and another 7 port and all are filled and so is every port on the iMac. Not one panic or crash and I have been running Leopard since the first week. I wonder what is causing your issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 20" imac 2g ram.
wutz a leopard. lol.

maybe someday ill change. but im happy and still learning how to use this thing.

cNK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WhiteBook (2.16GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - OS X Tiger)
I've started up on Macs with Tiger in October '05...
I got my first Mac last June and I'm running 10.4.11. I just ditched my old PC and I am now using my MacBook as my desktop, with a 500GB USB HD. All of my movies, music, etc. are on that drive. I'm scared upgrading to Leopard might cause compatibility problem with the USB HD so I think I'll wait 'til 10.5.4+ to upgrade. Also I think I will install an extra gigabyte of RAM before going through with the upgrade.
I'm in no rush, I'm still loving Tiger, it is crazy fast on my machine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
For most users (in my opinion) Leopard runs just fine. No real issues. But for those who use certain special apps for work or whatever or like to delve deeper into their system, a few issues are cropping up. Not that many though. But they are totally situationally specific. And most can be avoided. If you make sure:

All the apps you use are Leopard ready.
All of the things you want to do work in Leopard
And you actually like the look of Leopard. (But 10.5.2 fixes this a bit though)

For me Tiger works like a charm. But if you can see you having no issues with Leopard. A quick search of google or this forum will tell you if you will have any issues. And if you don't which most people don't then the move to Leopard is a good one.

But if you do find the odd little issue then it's best to wait for the issue to be fixed before you upgrade. But I must say about 95% of people have found no major issues in Leopard that would make them not want to use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
This is pretty much where I'm at. I'm still fairly new to my MBP, but Leopard sounds shiny and new and I think I want to upgrade, but I'm concerned about what may go wrong, even with a fresh upgrade. I suppose I just need to find a Leopard for Dummies book.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Sounds like that's the one I need. =)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.