Images for folders on the Dock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
If I have a folder or a stack on the dock, is there a way to change its display image to be something other than just a picture of a folder. Similarly is there a way to do the same thing with icons on the desktop (like a an external hard drive)? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
If I have a folder or a stack on the dock, is there a way to change its display image to be something other than just a picture of a folder. Similarly is there a way to do the same thing with icons on the desktop (like a an external hard drive)? Thanks!

As far as the stacks are concerned, you can follow the directions here, assuming you don't mind an extra empty folder in your stack:

http://www.leopardtricks.com/leopard/changing-stack-icons-in-the-dock

It seems to work just fine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
With 10.5.2 you don't have to worry about all of that.

1. Find an icon you like and copy it to the clipboard.

2. Just change the folder icon to what you want. By clicking on the little icon of it in the top left side of the get info screen for the item in question. That highlights the icon. Then you can past the one you copied in step one over the original icon. That way works best for me.

3. Drag the folder into the dock.

4. Right click no the folder in the dock and choose to display as folder.

Easy solved. (Just remember to edit the icon before you drag to the dock. If you do it after, the dock's icon for it will not change.)

And for icons in the desktop or anywhere else for that matter. Just follow steps 1 and 2 of above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.6 C2D 4GB 17", MBP 2.33 C2D 3GB 17", MBP 2.33 C2D 2GB 15"
There are also these.

stack05.jpg

Download Here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
With 10.5.2 you don't have to worry about all of that.

1. Find an icon you like and copy it to the clipboard.

2. Just change the folder icon to what you want. By clicking on the little icon of it in the top left side of the get info screen for the item in question. That highlights the icon. Then you can past the one you copied in step one over the original icon. That way works best for me.

3. Drag the folder into the dock.

4. Right click no the folder in the dock and choose to display as folder.

Easy solved. (Just remember to edit the icon before you drag to the dock. If you do it after, the dock's icon for it will not change.)

And for icons in the desktop or anywhere else for that matter. Just follow steps 1 and 2 of above.

I don't see a "get info" on the menu associated with the stacks folders. The process you described is what I've always used for "standard" icons, but for stacks, it didn't seem to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
There is no "Get info" on the dock folders. you have to find the original folder in Finder and do it that way. THEN drag the folder to the dock.

This is how I do it... Others might have a quicker solution. But, as far as I know, you can't make these changes to a folder already in the dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.6 C2D 4GB 17", MBP 2.33 C2D 3GB 17", MBP 2.33 C2D 2GB 15"
I love those, so I downloaded them, but I only see this:

Picture2-5.jpg

How can you see what apps are in the folders?

hmmm.....it appears as if you drug the new drawer icons to the dock but not on top of the associated stack. If you drag (for example) the applications drawer icon on top of the applications stack it should show up on top of the stack....thus making it look as if the other application icons are "in" the drawer. Make sure you right click on the stack and select sort by "Date added." Then if you make changes to that stack....i.e. adding a new application, drag the drawer icon to the desktop and then drag it back to the stack. That makes it the last thing created thus putting it on top. Or I suppose that you could rename the drawer icon something like "000000000" then sort by name, as such always making it the first in line.

Hope that helps. If not PM me and I will see if I can think of anything else.

--M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
There is no "Get info" on the dock folders. you have to find the original folder in Finder and do it that way. THEN drag the folder to the dock.

This is how I do it... Others might have a quicker solution. But, as far as I know, you can't make these changes to a folder already in the dock.

True you can't but removing the folder from the dock and editing the image for it them putting it back in the dock works just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Picture1-4.jpg

Thanks! Much better!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
...Or I suppose that you could rename the drawer icon something like "000000000" then sort by name, as such always making it the first in line...

you can use sort by name without changing the "drawer icon's" name. There is a space at the beginning and end of its name which will make it appear first when using sort by name.
Works for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.