strange noises coming from laptop

Reaction score
Hey,

I got an iBook G4 not long ago and I have an issue with it that I hope someone could shed some light on. I've noticed it making a strange clunky noise about every 30 seconds- constantly!- and it's driving me nuts!! Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is there any way to stop it? I find it hard to believe that it's supposed to be happening, so any advice would be appreciated.. Thanks.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hey,

I got an iBook G4 not long ago and I have an issue with it that I hope someone could shed some light on. I've noticed it making a strange clunky noise about every 30 seconds- constantly!- and it's driving me nuts!! Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is there any way to stop it? I find it hard to believe that it's supposed to be happening, so any advice would be appreciated.. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Moose go to Disk Utility and see what Verify Disk and SMART status has to say as it is possible the HDD is on the way out. If advised the drive is failing, back up urgently and replace asap.

OP
D
Reaction score
re strange noise advice

Yep, that would appear to be the problem. My HDD's had it. I never would have thought about looking in disk utility to solve this prob. Obviously I don't know much about my computer's guts. Thank you so much for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.