• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How Do You Strip Audio from an existing video?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I need to extract audio from video...I am working on this DVD and I found the music I need but, you guessed it, it's a video...The videos are from YouTube...I downloaded them...that's fine...but I can't seem to find the right tool to extract the audio...

I tried Nero for Macs, but somewhere along the line, a message pops up '...download for Mac OS X 10. and later will be available soon..'

I can't wait for 'soon'...my DVD takes up 37 GB, I need to finish it, burn it and get it off my Mac...It's a 2-disc affair, I've started the 2nd disc but I can't continue because the other 37 GB slows it down.

I have the Toast 6 Titanium, but can't find a place where I can extract the audio.

Help!!!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
How Do You Strip Audio fronm and existing video (2)

I have a feeling this isn't going to work.

The only way I can play the videos in question is with Wimpy FLV Player, which I have, but Audio Hijack Pro has Real Player.

I have Real Player, but now that means I have to find a way to change the video files from .flv files to real player files.

Any suggestions?

I know how Nero works on PCs ... it's so easy you can convert existing files to any type you want, why doesn't Mac have something like it?.....I'm frustrated, this has been over 3 weeks I've been trying to find a solution...and I'm not getting anywhere.

Reaction score
Try it again! Audio Hijack will record any sound from any source. It doesn't play the file, it simply harvests the the audio. Next to Audio Source, click Select and find Wimpy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
Download iSquint (free.. it's designated as an ipod video converter but it will convert to any size).
Drag and drop and then convert the file from .flv into a .mp4 (the automatic, and only, format iSquint can convert to).
Import video as a clip in iMovie (I'm assuming you have this with iLife, doesn't matter the version)
Select the video file in the timline in iMovie
In the Toolbar click Advanced>Extract Audio
It will create an audio soundwave in the timeline. Drag this clip (literally will be a purple box) onto your desktop. It will create an mp3 file (usually).

This is the easiest way for me to do it anyways, without any new software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro , 15 inch / Mac Pro w/ 30 inch HD Cinema Display
are using fcp? you can just push apple L and it will separate audio and video.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Thank you everyone.

iSquint seems to be working for those who wish to try the same in future.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The I Movie version I have is iMovie 6.03

Squint worked. I have the video in iTunes, it plays and you can watch it. I converted it in both iPod option and TV option...The iMovie only takes the TV option file...the video is imported as a clip in iMovie...but, I can't get it in the timeline, and also, in the Toolbar it seems that the Advanced>Extract Audio option is not allowed.

The file itself has been converted into QuickTimePlayer file...I'm stuck what do I do now.

I'm almost there...

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Success !!!

I dragged and dropped my original video, which is an .flv file, in iSquint, using the setting 'Optimize for iPod.

It converted the file to a QuickTimePlayer .mp4 file. Then to extract the audio I used Audio Hijack and voila, it works !!!

Thank you everybody.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
Good to see you figured it out.

I'm in iMovie 6 as well and I think you're problem is you've imported but you haven't copied and pasted the movie onto the project timeline. Just as a heads up if you ever need to know, you right click the clip icon and select copy (or use the shortcut command-c) and then right click the timeline and paste (command-v). Then you have to select the video in the timeline, not just the clip. It will extract the audio onto the timeline just below the video. What it allows you to do is adjust the volume levels of the video at different parts so you can overlay music and stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
If you go to http://movietomp3.com/ you can get the audio from a YouTube video. However, it takes the audio from the WHOLE video, so if that's not what you want, don't use this. Also, for this, you don't need to download anything but the audio file, so I like that little bonus.

C

chas_m

Just for the record, Audio Hijack Pro would have done the job if you understood the program a little better. You were confused because the PRESET sources included Real Player. All you had to do was add a source, in this case your WMV player, and it would have handled that as easily as it did with the MP4 file.

Reaction score
Strip audio from existing videos

Hi, I have learned that this is an old question.

If you can go for an audio recorder, which is available to strip audio from YouTube videos online or on your computer's hard disk, I guess it will be easy for you.

Just like using Audio Hijack, it is available to capture sound from YouTube source in DVD or other formats. Perhaps you need to check it by yourself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.