eMac formatted Hdd is not recognized by PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2ghz,1 GB, 250 gig
I recently formatted my old 80 gig HDD that came out of my MacBook,after I replaced it for a 250 gig seagate. I formatted the drive using apple disc utility,80% FAT32 the rest HPFS.the drive works perfectly well with my mac,but when connected to a PC...... doesnt even recognize it. WHats going on? any thoughts.any ideas welcome

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
You must partition and format it on Windows for Windows to see it, Mac's partition differently, alas WIndows no see......and Windows no see HPFS either.....if your running say XP or Vista or Windows 2000, don't even bother with FAT32....go for NTFS works better in PC land......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yep. Look for another HDD and have one Apple format HFS extended and one Windows NTFS is the best advise.

OP
gazza77
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2ghz,1 GB, 250 gig
but i cannot write ntfs with mac,correct?.I basicly need a HDD i can read /write on windows and mac. WhenI want to transfer files from a mac to windows or vice versa..... ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Someone posted a freebee open source NTFS driver for Mac OS X somewhere on the forums here, allowing reading and writing to NTFS. I however licked that to the nines by simply networking my iMac into my 5 system LAN and make it use a HD on my main Windows machine (a 250Gb drive for data only) as a datadump as well, works nicely if you can manage it, and being a noob like me to the Mac....I'm even surprised at how easy it was.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.