MP3 to Midi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
Is there any apps out there that will convert an MP3 file to MIDI? A good one, but free would be nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
interesting. im gonna have to try this out.

Reaction score
I don't think that it is possible to convert mp3 to midi. A midi file is basically just a list of notes - a form of sheet music that the computer can play. An "audio" file (like a WAV or MP3) is a mathematical description of sound waves. I don't think there's any technology that can listen to a complete song (i.e. take in sound waves), isolate the various instruments, and then transcribe what they do.
But if you want to convert midi to mp3 you can try various programs, for example MIDI to MP3 Converter for Mac or iTunes. I've had problems with iTunes crashing on some MIDIs. So I use MIDI to MP3 Converter. A file 5 minutes long it converts in 15 seconds! It saves my time significantly.

Reaction score
i even cant think abt conversion of mp3 to midi. i dnt knw wht is the reason behind doing this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8-Core
I didn't think this was possible, but obviously it is by looking at the above link.

Anyone used this yet?
If it works then I would find it very handy. I could drag in some of my old demo songs from years ago (recorded on a Tascam 4 track) and run the resulting midi through Superior drummer, Guitar Rig etc :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.